Waltham Crystal

SamS

NAWCC Member
Feb 16, 2008
I need a little help. Owning two Howard tower clocks, I decided I'd like to have a Howard pocket watch. I know nothing about pocket watches (yet), so I have been moving carefully along trying to learn a bit before jumping in too fast. I came across a Waltham that I thought would be a good starting point. It wasn't much money, and although it's common and a "low end" watch, I actually really like it (size 18, hinged case, runs and keeps time very well). Problem is, it has a plastic crystal that falls out (not sure you call it a crystal when it's plastic) and I would really like it to be replaced with glass.

Question is what would you suggest I do about the crystal? Would you leave the plastic in this watch or replace it, and if replaced can anyone recommend someone that I could have do the replacement?

Thank you,
Sam

Attachments

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Do you live anywhere near a watch material supplier? Some suppliers might have a stock of NOS glass crystals, and would likely be equipped to be able to reduce a too-large one to a size that fits.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iandb
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions