Waltham Civil War Ellery Question

Jerrell Petersen

May 27, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I came across a Waltham that is need of some serious TLC, the watch is a Waltham Ellery and the serial number is in the 48,000's which dates it 1862 and makes it a civil war watch. In Shugart's price guide, it shows a 18s Waltham Ellery 7-11 jewel in original silver case and in bold states serial number below 46,600 is a 2 star watch. My question is, what is so important about this number? I noticed it was the end of a run but other than that why? I want to know because if a number above this is worth considerably less, I wont put effort in fixing mine. But I thought at the end of the day, mine is a civil war watch and I think it deserves the help. I just want to double check about the serial number issue. My guess is that the 46,600 is kind of a ball-park number but I do not know for sure. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

ben_hutcherson

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2009
Kentucky
Country
Region
I don't recall what the star number cut-off are, as I don't put a whole lot of credibility in them.

46,600 is fairly early in production of the Ellery grade, and that particular serial number represents the 893rd Ellery grade movement made in the 1857 model(the 1859 model Ellery grade added another 80 to that total before the specified number).

This is just strictly my opinion, but as someone who collects these sort of early watches I'd probably value a 46,000 SN range Ellery similarly to how I would value a 48,000 Elllery. For me personally, I wouldn't start to get excited until down in the first couple of Ellery runs in the 41000 and 42000 range.

That aside, I know that the first couple of runs of '59 Ellery movements had a script signature on the plate that is to me much more interesting than the later block signature. I had a 47,000 example with this signature. I don't think that the '57s ever had this signature, but I might be wrong on that.

Bear in mind also that any of these will carry a premium over later, post Civil War watches.

artbissell

NAWCC Member
Dec 4, 2009
Boulder, CO Foothills
Region
Here 50985 Boston Ellery in original old commonly used silver Eagle marked case. Runs like new since restorer Bill Tapp made certain was all authentic. Seemed to think I ought to have one. Not a Waltham name on it any where. Have a 11,000 Appleton Tracy coming from dealer that provided mc case 6s with deer -coration and my delayed permission to use his photos. It was marked for and sold by Jeweler in Vt. near where I was high schooler.

documents3%20399a.jpg documents3%20398a.jpg mando358a.jpg

Jerrell Petersen

May 27, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Ben, one more question (or for anyone of that matter). These KW 1857 watches can be placed in either a open face or HC correct? I think I want to find a Waltham silver case for it, Is there a certain style case that would be appropriate/correct for this movement? Do you happen to also know what size key this movement will need?

Last edited:

ben_hutcherson

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2009
Kentucky
Country
Region
Does yours have a gold balance? And, yes, it will fit either an OF or an HC and line up correctly.

Here's a case from a 27,000 to give you some idea of the general style

22.jpg

23.jpg

25.jpg

24.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

Typically these will take either a #4 or #5, although sometimes you will need to try a couple of keys to get a correct fit(or at least a close fit).

Last edited:

pmwas

Dec 12, 2010
Sosnowiec, Poland
Country
Region
Such a beautiful watch! I love those early, silver pocket watches a lot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stacey_AEH
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre