Waltham blue dial, Elegant! Question on hands?

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Spartcom5, Aug 11, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Spartcom5

Spartcom5 Registered User

Feb 1, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Picked this up today for $25. Runs alright and the case is in fantastic condition. One of the hinges as pictured below is quite loose. The dial looks amazing and I haven't one like it yet. I had to have it! However...... the minute hand has been replaced ugh. It's probably impossible to find the original correct? Look at how fancy the hour hand is! Dang!! Thoughts on where I might find one at or am I doomed?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    I also like the blue numbered dials even though I haven't
    purchased one. They remind me somewhat of the flow blue pottery.

Nice find. Good luck with finding a minute hand.

Rob

3. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Keep an eye out for "filigree" watch hands, and you might get lucky. I found a set that matched a smaller pair that were more sinuous, sort of like a section mark (§). Maybe if you can at least get a matched pair you can wink and swap them. I think I got them from Tim Mister at dashto.org - seems likely, anyway. You might also be able to coax that hinge tube to fit a bit more snugly, if you're feeling adventurous. VERY nice find!

Glen

4. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    Real Estate Broker on hiatus
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, that style of dial is very nice indeed, especially when the numerals are of the blue-black coloring.

I believe that the hands are just gold Louis XIV style (Reference linked page.). If not, they're pretty close, and should be found fairly easily. Good luck.

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/reference/hands

5. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Another, simpler option would be to find an hour hand to match the minute hand for now and let the dial speak for itself. If you finally find a Louis XIV minute hand to fit you can replace the pair.
    View attachment 353248

6. Tom Huber

Tom Huber Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2000
    This always amazes me. The OP states that the case is in "fantastic condition". then he mentions a loose hinge and shows a pic of a cover almost ready to fall off.

He has been watching too many ads on the big auction site.

Tom

7. Spartcom5

Feb 1, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I was mainly referring to it cosmetically and that the fact no gold is wearing off aside from the fact the hinge is loose. The problem there is that the bar is bent, just needs to put pushed out and straightened or replaced.

8. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    With respect:

He also shows pictures of a case on a 112-year-old watch, a case where the engraving is nice and it's still crisp, there's little brassing, the perimeter knurling is in good shape, there aren't many serious dings, and the pendant and bow are in pretty doggoned good shape compared to a lot of the cases out there. Ok, the hinges have been abused, and the inside of the front cover could use a polish. Relative to a lot of the cases out there, it is in fantastic condition. With a little TLC it can be quite a source of pride. Sure, there are better ones out there, too, but there are a heckuva lot more out there that are worse.

Glen

9. NC Plumber

NC Plumber Registered User

Jan 15, 2011
    I can supply an original matching minute hand if you like. PM your mailing address and I'll send one to you.

10. Tom Huber

Tom Huber Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2000
    I will stick with my original point. The case is not fantastic. The hinge can be repaired, but will cost. As noted the case is average at best.

Tom

11. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wow. Okey dokey then. Differ'nt strokes!

Glen

12. Spartcom5

Feb 1, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Regardless of condition it was a good deal for $25. I am interested in the dial however, were these made upon request? I cant find another like it online other than the one Jerry posted. Are they rare by any means? Thanks guys appreciate the help!

13. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think this was a regular dial option. My 1909 Waltham material catalog lists a couple of "Ivory with Blue Figures" dials, in sizes from 12-size to 10-ligne. Yours is a 6-size watch and the one I showed is 0-size. Fancy dials like these were about double the price of a plain dial.

14. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    DSCN7206.jpg DSCN7203.jpg DSCN7202.jpg DSCN7199.jpg DSCN7198.jpg

Here is another blue dial Waltham with a slightly different concept.

15. topspin

topspin Registered User

Dec 14, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm with Tom on this one. That case is "fantastic" in much the same way that an estate agent might say a flat or house has "fantastic potential".
    It's still a lot better than "no case" though.

The dial is a little unusual but I've seen similar before so I would need some convincing that it is "rare".

I have the perfect tool here for getting any set of watch hands to all match. For some reason it bears a suspicious resemblance to a black marker pen.