Waltham, Bad Balance Staff Pivot?

Patrick

Jan 8, 2022
Country
Hello Everyone,

I'm uncertain if the pivot on the hairsping side is worn (jewel side pivot for comparison).

Much thanks for your help.

Patrick

Hairspring side...
WALUP.jpg

Jewel side...
WALDW.jpg

John Runciman

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 13, 2003
Seattle, WA
Country
Region
the pivot on the side with the roller jewel definitely is not good. Both pivots suffer from poor lighting and the photography is really tough. But if I'm only looking at the end the end of that pivot looks almost perfectly flat and look slightly mushroomed. The other pivot I really can't tell it almost looked to ground. If you had access to the timing machine that would give you a clue really fast look at the amplitude dial up and then dial down dramatic difference tells you have a pivot problem.
So ideally the pivots should look nice and shiny nothing resembling scars or lines scoring. The ends of the pivots should be slightly rounded

Reactions: Patrick

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
I agree with what has been said. I would consider replacement of that balance staff.

I would expect it to show significant difference in amplitude DU and DD. Does it even run Dial Up?
Considering the state of the pivots, a close inspection of the balance jewels may reveal that there is more than the staff that needs replacement e.g. balance jewel(s).

Times

Aug 29, 2020
Country
Region
Hello Everyone,

I'm uncertain if the pivot on the hairsping side is worn (jewel side pivot for comparison).

Much thanks for your help.

Patrick

Hairspring side...
View attachment 713959

Jewel side...
View attachment 713958
The pivot on Hairspring side is broken. You can always confirm that by taking the measurements and comparing to Balance Staff catalogue length. BTW, is there only one jeweled side?

Patrick

Jan 8, 2022
Country
I agree with what has been said. I would consider replacement of that balance staff.

I would expect it to show significant difference in amplitude DU and DD. Does it even run Dial Up?
Considering the state of the pivots, a close inspection of the balance jewels may reveal that there is more than the staff that needs replacement e.g. balance jewel(s).
It barely ran dial up... I just put in a new balance staff, and both hole and cap jewels look good.

Thanks for your help,

Patrick

Last edited:

Patrick

Jan 8, 2022
Country
The pivot on Hairspring side is broken. You can always confirm that by taking the measurements and comparing to Balance Staff catalogue length. BTW, is there only one jeweled side?
I just put in a new balance staff, I now realize how worn the old staff was. There are hole and cap jewels on both sides, I was referring to the roller jewel in my original post.

I appreciate your help,

Patrick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VTC Duane
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner