Waltham American Grade Help

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Beetlebug, Aug 3, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Beetlebug

Beetlebug Registered User

Dec 5, 2002
    Hi, I just purchased a 21j 12s American Grade Waltham watch, serial 8774617. I was thinking that these watches were sold originally close to the turn of the century, give or take. The one I have looks to have a much later case and dial then this. Can anyone help me with a ballpark on when the bulk of this grade was cased and sold?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Beetlebug

Dec 5, 2002
    Hi, I just purchased a 21j 12s American Grade Waltham watch, serial 8774617. I was thinking that these watches were sold originally close to the turn of the century, give or take. The one I have looks to have a much later case and dial then this. Can anyone help me with a ballpark on when the bulk of this grade was cased and sold?

Thanks,
    Tom

3. Brian C.

Brian C. Registered User

Jun 9, 2001
    NH
    Country Flag:
    About 1898.
    Brian C.

4. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    These watches have a particular dial that is unique to the model and grade. It also appears on the big brother 16 size bridge model. It took a long time to sell these expensive watches so they may have still been in stock in the 1920's. A number of runs were made/finished for the fledgling Keystone Howard operation.

http://www.awco.org/AWCo/American/12sBridgeOF/Front_small.jpg
    Click to make larger.

Here is the big brother's dial.

http://www.awco.org/AWCo/American/23JBridge/Dial.jpg

5. Beetlebug

Dec 5, 2002
    Thanks for the info. That's certainly not the dial I have. Mine's a rather bad condition painted metal one. In inscription is dated "1937" so that may be a bit late for the movement to have been new. But I guess in the world of vintage watches nothing is impossible. It's being shipped to me now so when I get it maybe there will be more clues. What kind of a case would be common on this movement? I'm guessing a plain, solid gold or high grade gold filled? Thanks again.

6. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think they would have all been in gold cases except under very unusual circumstances. The screw marks on all model 1899 movements are the same, so the absence of old screw marks is not conclusive that the case is original.

I have had them in 14K (mostly), 18K (relatively scarce) and 9K (only on English Dennison cases).