• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Waltham 8 day mainspring engineering

4thdimension

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
I service a lot of these and have come to the conclusion that the barrel hook connection was under-engineered. The majority of the failures involve the outer terminus of the spring being ripped off. I have frequently made a new hole end in order to save the customer a few bucks. I thought that was what I was going to be doing today when servicing a CDIA clock and was surprised to find the springs were fine but both barrel hooks ripped out! I was almost pleased because I have more barrels than springs. Just a pointless whine I guess, but I will add it seems crazy to have to dismantle a CDIA to the last screw just to replace mainsprings? -Cort

666E21E3-2FFB-4EA5-8455-E5D15F82C502.jpeg

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
www.historictimekeepers.com
Country
I service a lot of these and have come to the conclusion that the barrel hook connection was under-engineered. The majority of the failures involve the outer terminus of the spring being ripped off. I have frequently made a new hole end in order to save the customer a few bucks. I thought that was what I was going to be doing today when servicing a CDIA clock and was surprised to find the springs were fine but both barrel hooks ripped out! I was almost pleased because I have more barrels than springs. Just a pointless whine I guess, but I will add it seems crazy to have to dismantle a CDIA to the last screw just to replace mainsprings? -Cort

View attachment 722659
Waltham had continuous financial problems and no one expected these clocks to last 100 years anyway (look at the winding wheel posts; THAT is what I frequently replace). I always replace the springs with new Swiss springs. These springs have braces with solves the problem of the hole tearing out. Never had a customer refuse the quote because of the cost of new springs. Reusing the old blue steel is asking for trouble.

I have come up with a process for replacing the missing end of the stem. The major impediment is if the sliding pinion is missing. Even had dials reprinted.

Reactions: 4thdimension

Karl Burghart

NAWCC Member
Jan 30, 2012
Ballston Spa, NY
Country
Region
I've found that filling the slot on the inside to a taper allows the spring to seat more securely in the barrel hook. Not sure if that helps the hook from breaking or not but it does hold it tight.

Reactions: 4thdimension

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jabberwalky
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent