Waltham 6/0 – C Model No. 621 Sweep Second Calendar

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by 441victor, Dec 13, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. 441victor

441victor Registered User

Oct 24, 2011
    A recent auction win has restarted my quest for more information about this uncommon Waltham movement. The description mentioned only Waltham and 21j but the unmistakable shape of the hour hand identified it as a Sweep Second Calendar.

74.jpg

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/9898/walthamchronodate2.jpg

About a year ago I found my first Chronodate movement. Collectors at the time commented that they either didn’t know it existed or knew of it only from a page in the Waltham material catalog.

Waltham 621 001.jpg

It’s based on the 21j 6/0 – C grade 621 SS movement with the hacking function. The complication lives on the dial side and uses an extra plate and wheels to drive an indexed day pointer mounted concentric to the hour wheel.

75.jpg

76.jpg

The material catalog shows two different dials with the calendar track. This movement has the smaller (26.8mm) 6020 A Recorder dial and all blue hands. The first movement I acquired has a very large (30.6mm) Chronodate dial numbered 6015 A and has a red sweep second hand and a red tip on the date pointer.

118.jpg

Having two movements of course adds to the number of unanswered questions. The material catalog lists the movement starting at no. 32460425 going to 33369300. The Recorder dial movement is no. 32460311 which is a few movements before that range but still from the same 10,000 run of 21j movements. The Chronodate dial movement is no. 32095009 and is listed in the NAWCC Gray Book data in a run of 17j movements and seems to come at the start of 6/0-C production. It also has a nicer finish with gold filled lettering and the machining marks on the bridges have been polished away.

119.jpg

The largest mystery involves the fact I have movements with production dates of 1944 and 1946 but still have no idea how they were cased. I’ve searched the web and the only evidence of a Waltham pointer date model is this picture.

Waltham Pointer Date.jpg

I don’t recognize the W on the dial. It isn’t the wide red W that I associate with Waltham’s post American period. The style of the case looks to be from the 60’s or even 70’s and the dial is post ‘58. That leads me to believe it’s from a later date and probably contains a Swiss movement maybe related to the Benrus calendar model.

I would be glad to hear from any members with information or comments about this Waltham model. Pictures of a cased example or an advertisement would be superb.

Joel

2. 441victor

441victor Registered User

Oct 24, 2011
    I thought I would bump this post in hopes of getting some information about these Waltham pointer date models. Since I first posted this I’ve put the movement with the Recorder dial into a period case from the Sheraton model.

144.jpg

I've seen Sheratons with 6/0-B, 6/0-C and 6/0-D movements spanning the late 40's to the mid 50's when Waltham closed its US factory. I couldn't stand seeing such an interesting movement laying in a drawer. The only problem I've had over the past month is catching the date pointer up after sitting idle for several days. It gives me an appreciation of the quick set feature that was incorporated in newer calendar watches.

3. sderek

sderek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Watch repair/ Watch sales
    USA
    Country Flag:
    I don't have any information to add, but thanks for sharing. I didn't know these calendar movements existed. It looks like you've made a good choice for a case.

4. sderek

sderek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2009
    USA
    Country Flag:
    I agree with your assessment of this watch. It is definitely not from the same time period. At first glance, I assumed it was a quartz watch.

5. Adam Harris

Adam Harris Registered User
    Moore NWCM Award

May 3, 2012
    Male
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
    Surely NOT Quartz.
    This is a very nice watch and surely prior to 1945 (no shock protection)
    Metal dil so after 1925 and prior to 1945, probably @ 1940

Very Cool
    Adam

6. sderek

sderek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2009
    USA
    Country Flag:
    #6 sderek, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
    There are actually 3 watches referred to in this post. I was referring to the watch in the very last picture in the 1st post... I said that one looks like a newer quartz watch.