Waltham 1897 Earl

topspin

Dec 14, 2014
Country
Region
Just completing the "E" trilogy (Ensign, Envoy, Earl) for this week.

This one is another non-runner with hands missing. Looks like I turfed it out of its case years ago, in order to make way for a more exotic orphan. Still, it'll make for a nice shiny 15J spares movement.
I see the database has already caught up to this "Export" run (ah, another "E") being something more specific.

I take the view that "Export" was something like a catch-all umbrella term for any run where the true grade was unrecorded. The lookup http://nawccinfo.nawcc.org/LookupSN.php shows that there are also Ensign/Envoy/Earl runs (and many more) where the grade did get recorded.

DSCN9346.JPG DSCN9345.JPG

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
What do you think the difference is (if any) between the 15-jewel Earl and the 15-jewel Ensign? Is it maybe just that "Ensign" was retired and replaced with "Earl"? Maybe Ensign and Envoy yielded to more regal names like Earl and Regina?

topspin

Dec 14, 2014
Country
Region
Interesting question.

According to the lookup http://nawccinfo.nawcc.org/LookupSN.php a 15J Ensign doesn't exist (maybe you have one though?), and there was only a single run of 15J Envoy.

Looking at the available information, it seems there was a mixture of "retiring one grade to replace with another" and "similar grades running in parallel".

To really unpick the story, we would need to identify more of the 116 runs from the "Export" clade.

I suspect Regina was a specific reference to Queen Victoria, perhaps for the diamond jubilee, so I would be surprised to see any turning up from after 1901.

One quirk is that although they all have English-sounding names, some of them (Gentleman, Perfection, Washington) have a tendency to turn up over in mainland Europe.

Another quirk is the 2 runs of 12S "Duke". I would hazard a guess that these were really model 1894, just misrecorded? One changed hands quite recently if you want to check it out..

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
Well... I am embarrassed for my error. Of course there is no 15-jewel Ensign. I meant to say Envoy, but between two different threads and the late hour I mis-spoke.

My Regina, #9,589,047 seems to be from around 1900.
Regina.jpg

As for the various export movements turning up on the continent, I found 1904 corresondence in the Waltham records at Harvard that discusses exclusive rights, granted to Zurbrugg and the Philadelphia Watch Case Co., to sell Waltham watches in Germany, Italy, Austria, “European Turkey” and “the Balkan states”.

I believe you are correct about that Duke being an 1894 model rather than a ’97 model. That is a very nice and scarce watch.

Reactions: topspin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsun
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre