American PW Waltham 1892 model 845

Don

NAWCC Member
Feb 17, 2002
I have replaced several staffs over the years with good luck. Today however a road block.
I have many 1703 A staffs and only one 1703 short hub. do they both fit the model 1892 and all seam to have to big of pivits. Is it best to find new jewels or try to make a pivit smaller. double roller the old staff is the short hub but was bought broken so Is it the right one??
Thanks Don

ben_hutcherson

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2009
Kentucky
Country
Region
Yes, the pivots were supplied in different sizes when the watch was new. Typically, higher grade watches, like the 845, would have had smaller pivots.

I ran into the same problem the other day in staffing a 1908 Crescent Street). I measured the unbroken pivot on old staff, and found it was a size 11. The 4861 staffs I have(I buy them in bulk since I use them pretty frequently) have a pivot size 12.

I think it's preferable to keep the old jewels and turn down the pivot to fit. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the original idea behind the smaller pivots was that they were lower friction, something which is very desirable in a higher grade watch.

Don

NAWCC Member
Feb 17, 2002
Well, I will give it a try since I have several of the 1703A I will attempt to make the piovit smaller on the lathe that I use only a little It will be a learning experiance. I may be better if some one has a small pivit staff to sell?
It will have to wait until next week end.
Thanks for the help
Don

Martin Burnett

Jul 29, 2006
South Carolina
Country
Region
Hi,

This Martin Burnett, Try using a rubber eraser on the pivot as you turn it in the lathe. Use the gray type since it has more grit. It will take two or three trys but it is worth it. You don't damage the pivot and you don't leave any cuts or flat places on the pivot. I also use the eraser to clean the rust off of a staff.

Cheers
Martin

Don

NAWCC Member
Feb 17, 2002
I did get to try to reduce the size of the pivit. I used a very fine stone that has a rounded edge it took some time but looked ok. I will look at the grey ereassor.
The problem I had was once sized for the jewel, and on the balance then on to the watch there the problem. It is to short to fit between jewel.
I eyed balled it with a new on and same lenght got a different balance from a different case and same thing to short 1703A I have a third box and that 1703A is a little longer I will try to get a caliper and measure before going farther
Should they not all be the same length of maybe the bottle is marked wrong I do not now. Keep on trying
Thanks again fo rthe help
Don

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avvador
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff