Waltham 1888 re-case & question.

DTSPatrick

Jul 9, 2020
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Country
Region
E0495FA9-A5E9-460B-BECF-485D4294DFF3.jpeg
What am I doing wrong? I can’t seem to remove an 1888 movement from its case. I have two watches that I’m swapping cases — I loosened the screw (photo above) and was able to remove the stem easily for this movement; however, loosening the screw on the second movement isn’t releasing the stem. The stem does become more loose and I’m able to move it up and down a little but it won’t disengage. Any ideas what I can do?
Also, can I swap out an oxidized crown wheel on an 1888 without disassembling the whole movement and letting down the mainspring? Are the crown wheels the same on OF and HC 1888 movements?
Thanks for your help.

Kenny S.

NAWCC Member
Apr 12, 2020
Not far from South Park CO
Country
Region
View attachment 664072
What am I doing wrong? I can’t seem to remove an 1888 movement from its case. I have two watches that I’m swapping cases — I loosened the screw (photo above) and was able to remove the stem easily for this movement; however, loosening the screw on the second movement isn’t releasing the stem. The stem does become more loose and I’m able to move it up and down a little but it won’t disengage. Any ideas what I can do?
Also, can I swap out an oxidized crown wheel on an 1888 without disassembling the whole movement and letting down the mainspring? Are the crown wheels the same on OF and HC 1888 movements?
Thanks for your help.
If you've loosened the screw sufficiently, the stem will come out. It has to. Make sure that you have backed it all the way up. The screw attaches to a plate that engages a groove in the stem that allows you to switch from winding and time setting. If this plate is stuck or corroded in place, it may be what's binding. As far as the crown wheel, you can swap it without dis-assembly, but definitely let down the mainspring first. I confirmed by trying it on one of my un-cased, unwound '88's. I think the crown wheels are the same, but not 100% sure.

--Kenny

Reactions: DTSPatrick

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
Sometimes it helps to push on the screw to press the lever/plate a tiny bit further down.

Another, more complicated method is to let down the mainspring and to remove the barrel bridge with the movement in the case. That usually exposes the mechnism and any problem with a stuck stem.

DTSPatrick

Jul 9, 2020
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Country
Region
more complicated method is to let down the mainspring and to remove the barrel bridge with the movement in the case. That usually exposes the mechnism and any problem with a stuck stem.
Thanks for the input Kenny and Skutt50. I’ll give it a couple more goes before I try to disassemble.

Reactions: Kenny S.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Criseldis
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller