waltham 1872 riverside goldflash

dennismonahan

NAWCC Member
Feb 16, 2017
Country
just added this very nice model 1872 goldflash riverside to my collection and wanted to share it with you. Would love to have a 21 jewel American Watch Co, but will settle for this gold plated nickel Riverside for now. Ehrhardt's American Pocket Watch Encyclopedia volume 1, shows only 200 were made with this finish. If anyone has anymore info on goldflash or tu-tone 72's I'd love to hear from you.

IMG_0031.JPG IMG_0026.JPG IMG_0028.JPG

Gregory

Dec 29, 2012
Hampton, GA
Country
Region
Grade: Riverside

Manufacturer: Waltham

Manufacturer Location: Waltham, Massachusetts

Movement Serial Number: 3190666

Grade: Riverside

Model: 1872

Estimated Production Date: February 1887 - August 1888

Run Quantity: 500

Total Production: 15,720

Size: 16s

Jewels: 15j

Movement Configuration: Openface
https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/result/waltham/3190666#
Movement Finish: Gold Flashed

Movement Setting: Lever

Plate: 3/4 Plate

Regulator: Fogg Tadpole

Hairspring: Breguet

Adjusted: Yes

Adjusted to Position: Yes

Data Research: 1954 Waltham "Gray Book" List

Reactions: Keith R...

ben_hutcherson

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2009
Kentucky
Country
Region
I don't know if anyone has any exact numbers on the gold flashed Riversides, but I suspect it's a lot higher than 200. They're not as common as plain gilt or nickel Riversides, but they're out there and not too much of a stretch to find.

I SUSPECT that the 200 number might be getting confused with the late production "Champion" grade, all of which-to my knowledge-were gold flashed. Aside from the high serial numbers(for a 17j model) the Champions are also 16j. I no longer have one, but IIRC I'd characterize the finish more on par with a Riverside grade. Specifically, I do recall looking for and not seeing the screwed/numbered pillars, something seen on the Am. Watch Co. and higher '72s. Mine did have a gold setting for the center jewel, although I have my doubts as to its originality(I don't want to speak ill of those who are no longer with us, especially those who I generally liked, but the person I bought mine from occasionally did questionable things to watches).

Reactions: Keith R...

ben_hutcherson

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2009
Kentucky
Country
Region
Champions are not the easiest in the world to find. Their appearance seem to be somewhat cyclical-I looked for a few years before I saw one on the table of a reasonably well known dealer-collector at Auburn maybe 2013ish, and then seemed to see a few for sale in the months following. With patience they can be found(and often in abundance) but you may need to wait a bit before one comes up.

I'm not sure if all 200 recorded were made.

From what I've seen, a 72 Champion finished in anything other than gold flashed would be a bit of an oddity.

Also, for a while $600 cased in silver was roughly the going rate, give or take $100. I paid I think $450 for mine(or was it $400-don't recall exactly). I remember who ended up with mine but not the exact terms-I want to SAY that I got rid of it for around $500 in trade value. I have no way of knowing for sure if the case on mine was original other than the fact that it was a '72 case, but it carried a presentation of being given as a gift in '91, a date that's roughly correct for when these were thought to have been finished/sold.

Also, I checked my records, and the gold flashed Riverside I had was from a 3.39 million run.

dennismonahan

NAWCC Member
Feb 16, 2017
Country
found the model 72 gold flash now I just need to find the case (haha). Also just added a 1908 private label tu tone, listed as a model 625 but looks like it has some factory upgrades!

IMG_0109.JPG IMG_0110.JPG IMG_0108.JPG IMG_0108.JPG

Reactions: musicguy and viclip