Waltham 1870 model cases

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Greg Frauenhoff, Apr 28, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. Greg Frauenhoff

Greg Frauenhoff Registered User

Aug 25, 2000
    I recently picked up a Waltham 1870 model in its original "Fix & Conner" case. Ron Price has noted "Fix & Conner" private label mvts (and also marked cases) in the 1857 model. Just wondering if other such cases have been seen.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

2. beta21

beta21 Registered User

Jun 6, 2003
    Greg, checked my two 1870's, none with such a case

3. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User

Aug 25, 2000
    Greg, do you suspect Fix & Conner were case makers? I have never heard of them. It seems more likely, if PL movements have also been seen, that they were a retailer who either had cases made for them or purchased cases and stamped them themselves. Are there any other distinctive marks or characteristics to the case?

4. Greg Frauenhoff

Aug 25, 2000
    Jerry, et al.,

Here is a scan of the case and also rubbings of the various markings. The case is for a key wind and key set from back mvt (which is what was found with it, i. e. an 1870 model Waltham kw ks variety). The back has a catch spring (the lift spring is present but broken) and opens when the otherwise non-functional crown is pushed (note: the case was found without this pusher...I added the crown and fashioned a pushing "stem". However, clearly, given the style of the pendant, something resembling a crown or perhaps a flat topped pusher was originally present. I have seen other KW cases with non-functional and yet original crowns on them.)

The case has two professionally executed holes in the dust cover that are decorated as shown. The word "hands", however, does not appear around one of the holes. Also on the dust cover is engraved "Fix & Conner". The inside back cover is marked Fix & Conner above an eagle inside a square (this doesn't show well in the rubbing). There is also a serial number.

I recall, when looking at old census info, that there were many cases makers in the US during the 1870s. Whether Fix & Conner actually made the case or whether it was simply a private label I can't say for sure. However, I would lean towards them being the maker.

Greg

img432.jpg img433.jpg img431.jpg img430.jpg img429.jpg

5. beta21

beta21 Registered User

Jun 6, 2003
    Greg, one of my cases look just the same, with non functional, fixed crown and no "hands" marking on the cuvette. Marked STERLING with a griffin, serial #1216. It's a very nice case with gold hinges. walt.jpg walt2.jpg

6. Greg Frauenhoff

Aug 25, 2000
    Thanks for the pic of your watch.

7. beta21

beta21 Registered User

Jun 6, 2003
    What is the serial number of your case, Grag?

8. Greg Frauenhoff

Aug 25, 2000