• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Walter Ceramic clock from Germany. Any info?

AndyDWA

Dec 26, 2013
Western Australia
Country
Region
My friend bought this Walter horse clock last week and asked me if I knew anything about it. I couldn't say much more than it was made in Germany - because it says so in the small print at the bottom of the dial.

It stands about 20-25cm tall (~8-9") tall. I assume it is ceramic (or China?). It has a high-gloss dark brown glaze with a pearlescent gold finish. She found one similar example, priced around $107Euro, on a European auction-type site, but it had no useful info with regard to age.

Any insights appreciated.

walter-horses.jpg walter-dial.jpg walter-back.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Well, Schmid's 'Lexikon der deutschen Uhrenindustrie' has a very short entry for (Hermann) Walter, a company in Pforzheim working around 1950-65, making fancy clocks.. They used the trademark Herva as well, which is not on your clock, but there is no reason why they could not simply have put the firm's name on the dial. You might find some other identification on the movement.

However, the dates for Walter would seem to be right for your clock and I believe that this Walter company could well be the maker of your clock. It certainly isn't an old clock and 1950-65 would suit.

Hope this helps a little.

JTD

AndyDWA

Dec 26, 2013
Western Australia
Country
Region
Thanks JTD. My uneducated guess was 70s/80s, so I think my friend will be happy with 50s/60s. It was advertised as an antique (aren't they all?!), but she never really expected that it was. She just likes it and it wasn't over-priced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jabberwalky
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent