Wall Clock

mrtuggles

Mar 13, 2011
Norwich
Country
Hi just acquired this wall clock, not sure of its age etc.Looks to be made of Oak and has a face made of paper/card.
Anyone got any ideas of age etc?
Oh yes it does say Foreign below the number 6.
It does keep good time and chimes on the gong - however it does not chime correctly - it chimes at quarter to the hour and quarter past the hour, how do i get this sorted ?
Any help much appreciated.
Steve.

Sorry if pics are not very good, but i have a new mac and am not quite sure how to re size pictures properly.

Attachments

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Steve:

Nice looking clock. The word "Foreign" suggests (to me, at least) that this may be a German clock made for export to England. However, a peek at the movement would be necessary to confirm. The case does look much like a German product, possibly 1930's.

Adjusting the strike time may be no harder than taking off the minute hand and replacing it so that it points to the proper hour. Some minute hands also have an adjustable washer on the back that allow you to turn it to reposition the minute hand. I don't know whether your has this. In any event, while that is good for smaller adjustments, it may not be necessary for the 15-minute adjustment you need.

soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
Country
Region
Steve,

as Steven notes, the clock may be a German make - at that,
I'm pretty sure it is. :)

The movement mounting looks like a "cottage clock" style, so
you will have to remove the hands, screw of the board with the dial,
and then, you will probably find the movement screwed to the backboard.

You will have to disassemble here too, because the markings are on
the rear side of the movement.

It looks like there is a one rod gong in the case?
The mounting bracket may have something on it.

You might find a somewhat oblonged, retangular hole in the minute
hand. If so, the clock is most likely a HAC (Hamburg American Clockfactory)
and you will have to get back to us, for the strike adjustments. It's not all that easy, then.

Jurgen

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
I agree it does look German, around the 1920/30s at a guess.

rlwindle

Mar 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Country
Region
I have a tall case clock from 1925 with Foreign under the 6 on the clock face. I was told that it was a German clock exported for sale in Britian. The back of the chime bar fixture on the back of the clock is the only thing that says British Made (so the chime bars may have been made there). There are numbers on the back of the movement but no marks.

Attachments

Last edited:

zepernick

Deceased
Aug 8, 2004
Country
Region
I have a tall case clock from 1925 with Foreign under the 6 on the clock face. I was told that it was a German clock exported for sale in Britian. The back of the chime bar fixture on the back of the clock is the only thing that says British Made (so the chime bars may have been made there). There are numbers on the back of the movement but no marks.
Your clock (or the movement and dial at least) dates from after when the UK's Merchandise Marks Act, 1926 first offered this option for "goods manufactured or produced in any foreign country." The appropriate section from the Act is below.

Zepernick

Attachments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HamiltonFan
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre