Wall clock to identify (suggestions for Kienzle)

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Daniel KY, May 15, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Daniel KY

Daniel KY Registered User

May 15, 2017
    Country Flag:
  2. Walesey

Walesey Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 24, 2012
    High School Science Laboratory Assistant
    Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Post your JUNGHANS clocks here

I am by no means an expert, but does anybody else think that pendulum hanger looks a little bit like Kienzle?

Cheers
    Walesey

3. Daniel KY

May 15, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I recently got this clock and while it is really dirty and waiting for a good bath, I am trying to identify it. Walesey suggested in the Junghans forum that the movement is Kienzle and I can't find other matches. Can somebody help identifying it? No logos or trademarks, just two numbers - 383696 and 43! View attachment 343866 View attachment 343867 View attachment 343868

4. Tatyana

Tatyana Registered User

Jan 2, 2016
    Female
    Saint Petersburg
    Country Flag:
    Hi all!
    Daniel, this is Kienzle. Your movement is produced in 1896 in Schwenningen. 383696 - serial number, 43 - the length of the pendulum.
    This is a similar movement with the logo "Schlenker & Kienzle".
    BR, Tatyana

5. Daniel KY

May 15, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Большое спосиба, Таня! (For all the rest this means "Thank you very much, Tatyana" in Russian)

It's a bit strange all the rest is absolutely the same but mine is missing the logo. Does anybody have any registry/diary of the serial numbers and any catalogs of that time? Because the box needs a lot of restoration while the movement is in very good condition.

6. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    self-employed in the clock business
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Fortunately brass doesn't suffer from wood rot or worms due to bad storage, or age, and can easily be brightened up to look new.

7. Tatyana

Tatyana Registered User

Jan 2, 2016
    Female
    Saint Petersburg
    Country Flag:
    Hi all!
    Daniel, "Schlenker & Kienzle" made a huge amount of movement with solid plates, a lot of movements do not have stigma or have the mark of another manufacturer (I know 20 of other brands on the movements Kienzle).
    I have a database of over 600 movements Kienzle "time and strike". I analyze this database and have an idea about the years, but not yet ready to submit for public consideration.
    Unfortunately, I have not seen catalogs Kienzle 19th century, but I think You can find a similar case in the catalog of another manufacturer.
    Good luck in restoring your clock!
    BR, Tatyana
    P.S. A rare pendulum, I did not see this in Kienzle.

8. Daniel KY

May 15, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hi, all
    Today started disassembling and cleaning and what a surprise - can you guess the pendulum's casing material? Aluminium!!! Tatyana mentioned it's a rare pendulum, but to be in aluminium casing for me is a bit weird!
    View attachment 345378
    (Not completely clean yet, but the material is obvious)
    Any ideas?
    Regards

9. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Are you sure? It doesn't look very like alumin(i)um to me but perhaps it is easier to see in real life rather than from the photo. Can we see the back of the pendulum bob as well please?

JTD

Don't know what the light bulb in the first line means - I didn't put it in and I can't get rid of it

10. Daniel KY

May 15, 2017
    Country Flag:
  11. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    How odd. I've never seen that before. Thanks for posting the extra pics.

JTD