Wall clock problem revisited.

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by helderberg, Mar 19, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. helderberg

helderberg Registered User

Apr 3, 2015
    Retired Plumber
    N.C.
    Country Flag:
    I had asked the question in an earlier post as to why my Sessions wall clock might be gaining so much time no matter how I set the pendulum. I also mentioned a skipping sound when the clock was fully wound. I waited for the clock to run down and stop, removed the hands and face to expose the works. I released the click stop on the main spring and guardedly released the remaining tension on the main spring. Used a Qtip with a light machine oil and ran the surface of the spring to remove any surface crud, surprisingly clean. I rewound the clock and did the best I could to center the Tic-Tock and low and behold no skip. After about a half hour I replaced the hour hand and set it to my watch to see how the rate was. Remember the thing was gaining thirty min in three hours before I removed the face and now it is twenty min. slow after five hours. I did see that the escape wheel did jump ahead when I set the hands with the pendulum working and that was the sound I was hearing when the clock was gaining so much time. I included a photo of the works for clarity. I have left the clock running now for twenty-four hours and it has been consistent with the loss of time and have not heard any of the "skipping" I did before. The clock is not stright but it is running consistantly. What should I do now? Does the pallet need to be adjusted or replaced? Should I just leave the clock body at the angle it likes and live with it? The pendelum only swings 5/8ths of an inch, not joking.
    Any help and/or advice would be truly appreciated, Frank.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Needs a clean and oil and you need to look at the tutorial about putting in beat.

3. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Move the verge closer to the escape wheel. Move it to where it locks up and will not tick, then back it off until it barely escapes the wheel. Be careful not to break the pallet pin. Sometimes it can be moved with needle nosed pliers and sometimes I have luck using a flat blade screwdriver to pry it. The rivet is usually very tight.

As Kevin suggests, once you get the verge adjusted, you can set the beat by bending the crutch wire. You should be able to get it set in beat so that the case is level.

4. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Also looks like it needs to be fully wound.

5. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your first post suggests that you tried to slow the clock down by adjusting the pendulum as much as possible? Perhaps the bob is still set too low for the clock to run on time?

6. helderberg

Apr 3, 2015
    Retired Plumber
    N.C.
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for the responses. Where would I find the tutorial about putting in beat?
    thank you again, Frank.

7. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Your clock needs some repair work. It is very dirty and that escape-wheel appears to be in sad condition. Time to seek out a good clock repair person.
    Willie X

8. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA

I totally agree with Willie. First I can see some serious damage to part of the
    escapement wheel. It should be replaced.
    The main wheel is dripping with oil. The gears should be totally dry, only the
    pivots and bushings should be oiled.
    Your clock has an interesting calendar drive that I've not not seen before.
    Does your dial have the calendar still?
    Tinker Dwight

9. scottmiami

scottmiami Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 14, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  10. helderberg

Apr 3, 2015
    Retired Plumber
    N.C.
    Country Flag:
    [​IMG]
    It has a date hand and here is a photo of the clock with its face. I would like to get the clock serviced here so I will have to check around and try to find a repair person I can trust. The clock hung in my childhood home for years so it is important to me. I would rather have it hang not running than have it butchered up. I have only been living here for about a two years so I have not been in contact with enough with people to have a fix on someone I can trust but I will start my search tomorrow.
    Thank you all again for your help. Be safe, Frank.

Attached Files:

11. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Its a nice clock Frank, and its a great memory for you, well worth preserving.

12. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    It is a nice looking clock. As has been mentioned before, you should
    try to contact a NAWCC chapter near you. They often have good recommendations.
    Do note that even though your clock has the words Regulator on the dial,
    it is a open spring movement with a recoil escapement. These will
    typically run fast at the beginning of the wind and slow towards the
    end. You should expect it to gain about 1-2 minutes a day at the
    beginning and loose 1-2 minutes a day at the end, of the wind.
    It is a very nice clock and still worth being repaired. I just hope
    you don't expect it to perform like a fine regulator.
    It is said that if it has to say Regulator, it likely isn't.
    I am a fan of calendar dial.
    Tinker Dwight

13. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a nice Sessions regulator as noted on lower glass, its a 8 day as well, noted here. And mine is a calendar as well, great clocks.

Attached Files:

14. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree with what others have said. The 'skipping' of the pallets over the escape wheel has really wrecked the teeth of the EW. That could be due to improper adjustment of the pallets but could also be caused or made worse by a worn pivot hole at the escape wheel, and of course the more it 'skips' the more damage to the teeth and that makes it skip even more. I would not run the clock until it is repaired. This is a simple clock movement to repair and generally a pretty good time keeper. Mine has a pendulum swing over 3" after 8 days run. On these Sessions movements be sure to check the click rivet as these often come loose. If you are comfortable with setting the 'beat' and reinstalling the movement you could send the movement out for service if you can't find a local service person.

RC

15. helderberg

Apr 3, 2015
    Retired Plumber
    N.C.
    Country Flag:
    Again, thank you all for this great information.
    I will let it run down while I look into a repair service.
    Be safe all, Frank.