• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Wall clock bought in Brussels - please help

Frantisek

Sep 12, 2010
I have bought recently a wall clock in Brussels, in quiet a good condition, but I am not an expert and I am not able to identify the origin. Any help would be appreciated.
Clock plays very special chime music every hour, pendulum is in an unusual shape of Sun.
Thank you in advance

Attachments

soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
Country
Region
Hello Frantisek,

first, your clock was made by Kienzle, Schwenningen, Germany.
The case style was made for a longer period of time, so you
should show us pics of the whole movement and a detail
of the dial, too.

The clock should have a more or less elaborate pediment
(headpiece), though.

Jurgen

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Welcome to the message board Frantisek. Very nice looking wall clock. Can you describe the "very special chime music" your clock plays on the hour?

Frantisek

Sep 12, 2010
Dear friends, thank you for your quick replies, which actually gave me the first indication about the origin of my clock. I was a bit surprise with the inf that is was made by Kienzle, because I have seen only some different trade marks of the firm. Most probably there is no possibility to say more about the date from the modest information engraved on the back side of the clock movement, but there is unfortunately nothing more. I will make more pictures of the dial, pendulum and the case (who knows if it is an original case), and I will also try to find a way to record and send the sound.
Once more my thanks to all of you
Regard Frantisek

soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
Country
Region
Oh yeah.
See, the problem is, there was no serial number recording
by the major clock factories of the time and much data was
lost, destroyed or dumped.
So we have to see the complete movement and compare
it to other references.

The numbers on your movement can't date it, but are simple
enough.
43 is pendulum length in cm's and 104 is pendulum beats / minute.

I wouldn't worry too much about the case not belonging to the
movement yet, they put music boxes in these... not that uncommon.

Jurgen

zepernick

Deceased
Aug 8, 2004
Country
Region
Kevin --

Had posted some Schlenker & Kienzle trademarks before, but where I'm not sure. Trying to remember where I parked the car is difficult enough :).

But the trademark shown above was in use at least by 1889, as it was registered then (under the 1874 law) as below. There's two sections as it started at the bottom of a column. The other clipping below shows the four trademarks being used as of 1900.

Regards
Zep

P.S. For those who are interested in historical date and time forms -- and who isn't? -- notice the time form used in the first clipping, the "Vm. 8 1/2 Uhr." Although the "V" does look like a "B" it is a V, with "Vm." (an abbreviation for "Vormittag") the English "am" (or a.m., AM, etc.).

Attachments

Last edited:

soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
Country
Region
Zep,

that anouncement isn't German, it's (hmmm) "Amtsdeutsch",
which is (for the non-german speaking) a twisted, very formal
written "law language".:D

...and still, it's not really understood by most folks!

Jurgen

Frantisek

Sep 12, 2010
Let me add a couple of pictures from different angles. They are far from being perfect, because I would like to avoid dismounting the movement again, it is fastened by four screws directly to the case. When I did it for the first time it was quite tricky to find than the correct position (still not sure if it is, because sometimes it does not play a music and I have to help a bit, nut maybe just cleaning is needed).
I also recorded a music, but unfortunately the server does not accept mp3 format and wav file was too big to post.
Frantisek

Attachments

antiekeradio

Mar 1, 2010
Netherlands
www.clockshop.nl
Country
Region
Next time you want to take it out, unscrew the 4 screws at the corners of the wooden "falseplate" on which the movement and the musical works are mounted.

Then you can be certain you won't disrupt the engagement between the two.

Very interesting clock, these are quite uncommon with musical works. I have seen maybe 150-200 clocks of this type, less than 1% with musical works.

antiekeradio

Mar 1, 2010
Netherlands
www.clockshop.nl
Country
Region
the clunking and clicking doesn't sound very healthy indeed. seems some teeth are binding, no wonder it stalls on any of those points.

need to find out what is causing this, before anything else.

Also, I wonder whether you disabled the stop mechanism for the audio recording or if it is malfunctioning.

Frantisek

Sep 12, 2010
Well, I will have to contact some expert to have a look at it, maybe a cleaning and oil will help. There are indeed some strange sounds. I have not disabled anything before recording, it is just sound as it plays every hour (malfunctioning? Do you think it should be different depending on the hour?) To be sure I will not make any damage I am not winding up the sound part until it is more clear for me or an expert will have a look.

Last edited:

antiekeradio

Mar 1, 2010
Netherlands
www.clockshop.nl
Country
Region
it seems to me it plays the same melody 3 times over. it should normally only do 1 on each hour.

since you bought the clock in Brussels we might be able to help out re. repair. PM me for details if you want to pursue this option.