W & H Westminster repeat pull missing ?

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by S1ider, Aug 11, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. S1ider

S1ider Registered User
    Donor

May 10, 2012
    Peterborough UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ok, i have finally got round to servicing a W & H Westminster clock that i purchased sometime ago. It chimes & strikes on 5 gongs and has a deadbeat escapement with repeat pull feature. The only problem is when inspecting before servicing i have noticed that i think that maybe there is a lever missing that the repeat pull cord would attach to. There is a vacant post in the top left (shown by a blue arrow in one of the pics). Is this missing a lever for the repeat ? Can someone confirm this ? Also as you will see from the pics i believe the pendulum is a cut down fusee type. Can someone also confirm this as the hook has been filed down and is broken and i would like to replace with close to the original as possible ?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    With a little effort (if you have a lathe) you could design a lever that would do the job of triggering a repeat. All it needs to do is release the rack again. Finding an original is going to be pretty hard.
    I can't help you with the pendulum question :)

3. S1ider

S1ider Registered User
    Donor

May 10, 2012
    Peterborough UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for your input shutterbug. I agree it shouldnt be too hard but i think we can safely say that would have had the lever for repeat there wouldnt it ? Cant imagine why it would have been removed.

4. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    I am wondering if you really mean 'repeat' (as in repeat the last hour struck), or do you mean simply a trip lever so that you can put the strike back in sync?

JTD

5. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Putting the strike back in sync would be for a count wheel time movement. Being a rack and snail like we have here. It would be similar to a blind mans activator. But I don't think so. I'm thinking more toward a shut off lever. What is the dial at the top of the face. My computer can't enlarge the picture.

6. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    You're right of course about the count wheel. I was having a senior moment.

But I don't think it was a repeat lever of whatever sort. I agree it might well have been a shut-off lever, because the dial at the top of the face is a fast/slow adjustment (I managed to enlarge the photo) so there is no shut off on the dial side. I think you are very likely right.

JTD

7. S1ider

S1ider Registered User
    Donor

May 10, 2012
    Peterborough UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well the side of the case has the hole which looks purposely made for a cord of sorts (like the old English bracket clocks). I thought a star wheel behind the snail and please correct me if im wrong, was a sign it has the repeat function and this was the way to tell if something was missing. I thought i read this some where but cant remember where.

8. S1ider

S1ider Registered User
    Donor

May 10, 2012
    Peterborough UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #8 S1ider, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    I have found where i had read it it. Its in Donald De Carles 'Practical clock repairing' book.
    By the way, the pics are huge on mine. Am i posting them wrong ?