VWC Pocket Watch, help with dating it please?

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by tvahsholtz, Mar 17, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tvahsholtz

tvahsholtz New Member
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2017
    Arkansas
    Country Flag:
    Hello!

I found this pocket watch at the thrift store today. From what I can tell from other posts on this site, it is a VWC in a Tornado case. I also read where the logo is registered to approximately 1905 or so.

I don't see a serial number on the movement. How would I go about dating this pocket watch?

Also, I am guessing there is supposed to be a crystal on this pocket watch. Would it be glass, and how would I go about finding a proper replacement.

Thanks in advance, Tim

Attached Files:

2. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    Real Estate Broker on hiatus
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's tough to figure out a near exact date unless we can figure out who made the movement. It's most likely of Swiss origin, and designed to appear like an American pocket watch. Even the case paper seems like it was probably meant to confuse, if not deceive, a buyer into believing it was made by either the Dubois Watch Case Co., or more likely, the Dueber Watch Case Co. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have never heard of the "Dubus Watch Case Co.", and it seems a bit too close to the two mentioned.

If it is a true 25 year case, it's a very nice quality gold-filled case, as they don't get guaranteed for much more than that. I don't recognize the movement. Maybe someone else will. Cheers.

As far as a crystal goes, the bezel needs to be measured accurately and the right shallow hunter-case crystal placed in the bezel. It can be tricky, as the bezels are pretty flexible and the groove for the crystal quite shallow. Probably a watchmaker and/or jeweler would be your best bet for the crystal fitting.

3. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    is the emblem on the dial of the Waterbury Watch Co?

4. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    Real Estate Broker on hiatus
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Like everything else about this watch, it's close but not quite right, methinks.

5. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  6. tvahsholtz

tvahsholtz New Member
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2017
    Arkansas
    Country Flag:
    Thank you, Jerry, for the links to similar watches and the Vallon Watch company name. I am guessing this would date to 1910's or 20's then? Think I will have it cleaned up and serviced - even if it is a forgery of another watch of the times, it's still an old timepiece that is running. Thanks MrRoundrel as well for your comments.

7. eri231

eri231 Registered User

Jan 13, 2012
    torino italy
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The VWC mark had been registered by Schwob freres in Switzerland and in the US by Adolphe Schwob brother of Theodore. This type of movement was called "montre Chapatte"
    regards enrico