Visiting London

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by Jerry Treiman, Oct 5, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am on a short visit to London and have been having a horologists' holiday. Between visits to Greenwich (Observatory and Maritime Museum), Victoria and Albert Museum, and Science Museum I have had a chance to see Harrison's H1 through H5 as well as K1-K3 and the collection and exhibit from the Clockmakers' Company. I also enjoyed a pleasant visit with Johnny Wachsmann at Pieces of Time.

I tried to visit the AHS office but learned they are elsewhere in temporary digs during some remodeling. I also tried to visit the Clockmakers' Company on Friday but found their offices dark, in spite of the hours posted on their website.

Will be looking for goodies at Portobello Road on Saturday.

musicguy and PatH like this.
  2. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Sounds like a great trip Jerry.

Rob

3. Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member Donor

Aug 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Met a watch dealer/collector today at Portobello Road who showed me many fine watches, including a Bonniksen karussel watch (lever escapement). He also claims to have a Waltham crystal plate that had been presented to someone at Waltham's London Depot.

PatH likes this.
  4. MartyR

MartyR Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    I believe that the AHS have only just moved to their new London premises, and maybe they weren't quite ready!

And I thought that the Clockmakers' Company had moved their collection to the Science Museum in Kensington :???:

If you're still in London, Jerry, maybe you could still visit there, and I would certainly recommend also a visit to the V&A Museum in Kensington - they have watch cases to die for!

5. Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member Donor

Aug 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Marty. Yes, I did see the Clockmakers Company collection at the Science Museum (that is where I saw H5), and I certainly drooled (outside the glass) over the watches at the V&A.