Chronometry: Visit to the National Maritime Museum

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by Paul Regan, May 15, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Next week, 5/22-24, I will be in London and would like to visit the National Maritime Museum amongst all the other sights to see. Assuming I will have about 4 hours to dedicate to the Museum, can someone experienced with the Museum give me a plan of action?
    Thanks, Paul

2. Snapper

Snapper Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    You will thoroughly enjoy your visit, you can be sure of that. Whilst the displays change every so often, the main building is fascinating for its history of ships and travel, but I suspect you will find the Greenwich Observatory of greatest interest. The Observatory is on top of the hill behind the main building and provides a glorious panoramic view of London. A good way to arrive in Greenwich is by waterbus which stops at Greenwich pier.

Harrison's sea clocks are displayed, running in glass cases and H4 is displayed statically. The whole museum is packed with beautiful and historic timepieces and scientific instruments so allow yourself plenty of time.

If you possibly can, also visit the Clockmakers' Museum in the Science Museum in Kensington. This collection consists of the exhibits from the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers (which used to be housed in the Guildhall) plus much more from elsewhere. H5 was on display the last time I visited along with many other chronometers.

3. Paul Regan

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you very much "Snapper". This is very helpful.
    Paul

4. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The observatory is a short walk up the hill from the NMM and well worth several hours. When I was there an actor role played the Royal astronomer and engaged visitors.

The exhibit at the science museum is the best arranged and annotated that I have seen.

The British Museum also always has a superb exhibit of clocks and watches

5. Paul Regan

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just returned from the UK. Had a great visit to the NMM and the Observatory. Thanks for all the input.
    Paul