Visible vs invisible repeater works

Incroyable

NAWCC Member
Jun 26, 2022
Country
I've noticed that many English repeaters had hidden repeater works and gongs. However by the latter part of the 19th century many were visible.

This is in contrast with Swiss repeaters which are all visible.

Was this simply a stylistic choice or was it more technical? Maybe it had to do with the use of Swiss repeating modules?

Last edited:

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Part is structural. The English used mostly full or 3/4plate movements. These were usually secured with case screw to the case rear lip. The top plate has to cover the gongs to secure the movement in the case.

However some English style watches did have visible gongs
mvt.png

The repeat work in this one is probably Swiss.

Incroyable

NAWCC Member
Jun 26, 2022
Country
Part is structural. The English used mostly full or 3/4plate movements. These were usually secured with case screw to the case rear lip. The top plate has to cover the gongs to secure the movement in the case.

However some English style watches did have visible gongs View attachment 726671

The repeat work in this one is probably Swiss.
Yes I was curious about the fact that all of the English repeaters were full or 3/4 plate movements but some had visible gongs and others were hidden away. The exposed gongs seems to be mostly in late 19th century watches.

Perhaps the English deemed it vulgar to expose the gongs.

I wonder if there was some effect on the sound quality with hidden vs visible?

Last edited:

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Here is my Barraud with invisible repeater works. It also has its assembly record from Usher & Cole that happened to be published in a book. I had the book before I had the watch. I was the back bidder on this watch twice at auction. The second time, I saw who was competing and decided I would try to buy it from them.

This is my web page on the watch: AWCo Web
1663425448438.png 1663425540145.png

tick talk

Sep 16, 2008
Country

Attachments

I used to have this Frodsham by L. Audemars from 1869 with hidden gongs in the English style and I assume Frodsham ordered it that way. I have a .MOV file of the chimes but can't figure how to upload here.

Reactions: Incroyable

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyB821
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Ptolemy's Course of the Planets displayed by CLockwork by Tom McIntyre