• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Vintage Vacheron & Constatin dial

Weight Driven

May 24, 2004
Country
Hi everyone,

Here is a recent find in as you can see bad condition. The watch was found in the bottom of a jar with about 25 other watches, so that gives you an idea why it is in it's current condition. No crystal contributed to the condition of the dial, must not have had a crystal for years. The movement itself is complete but the center jewel is shattered, I believe a kid got hold of the watch and pressed on it, as on the back of the case you can see the center wheel pivot and the hands were pressed inwards toward the dial, as if someone just pressed the watch with two fingers. However I do have a question, I hate to refinish dials, I believe it takes most of the history and patina away from a watch. In this case it appears that a refinish is in order but I would like some opinions as I don't want to do anything with this watch until I've heard from others. Also, if anyone knows of someone who could refinish this dial, at least close to original, as I know the only place that could refinish this dial to exact is Vacheron. Thanks for any help and guidance with this.

DSC01799.JPG

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
www.historictimekeepers.com
Country
Hi everyone,

Here is a recent find in as you can see bad condition. The watch was found in the bottom of a jar with about 25 other watches, so that gives you an idea why it is in it's current condition. No crystal contributed to the condition of the dial, must not have had a crystal for years. The movement itself is complete but the center jewel is shattered, I believe a kid got hold of the watch and pressed on it, as on the back of the case you can see the center wheel pivot and the hands were pressed inwards toward the dial, as if someone just pressed the watch with two fingers. However I do have a question, I hate to refinish dials, I believe it takes most of the history and patina away from a watch. In this case it appears that a refinish is in order but I would like some opinions as I don't want to do anything with this watch until I've heard from others. Also, if anyone knows of someone who could refinish this dial, at least close to original, as I know the only place that could refinish this dial to exact is Vacheron. Thanks for any help and guidance with this.

View attachment 678322
The last time I tried for something from Vacheron, they would only do the complete job. I hope they can help you. I have not been happy with dial refinshers in years (decades?).

Chris Radek

NAWCC Member
Apr 13, 2014
Lincoln, NE, USA
timeguy.com
Country
You don't have much to lose. I think the dial has been refinished before; the printing isn't that great. The real problem is the missing markers. The gold dots could be made easily enough, but that 8 could be a problem. Did you check your jar really carefully?

I'd try Dial Craft in Canada for the printing. I'd check to see if a junked Hamilton dial would give a suitable 8. Lots of those had applied gold markers, even the gold filled models I think. One I have here has an 8 that's about 2.2~2.3mm tall.

If you find a junked dial with a suitable marker, just send the dial along and let them handle it. If it has some applied dots too, all the better.

Weight Driven

May 24, 2004
Country
Thanks guys, I did go back and look for the numeral 8 but it was not there. I may go with the try and find replacement parts and send to a dial refinisher. This is the first Vacheron I've ever owned so I don't want to scrap it, even in it's current state. Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
natee
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-