Vintage Hermle Desk/Mantle Clock?

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Betzel, Oct 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Betzel

Betzel Registered User

Dec 1, 2010
    Region Flag:
    Greetings,

$10 flea market find here. I could use some help authenticating it and/or dating just to satisfy my own curiosity. There is a show-and-tell thread on Junghans here, but not one for Hermle I could find?

It measures about 160mm high and 195mm wide. The textured brass dial says Hermle, but the trademark almost looks hand-made, like a knock-off, whereas the chapter ring is precise. The movement is 100% smooth and unmarked, but everything was fully salt-blued to a dark color, so it's well made for an inexpensive-looking clock. All of the pivots were still perfect or nearly so. Some holes had been closed via a punch during service, but no bushings, so those pivots have seen action. I have never seen a cast lead pendulum with an eccentric cam / indexing like a bridgeport against a center mark. In German it reads: 1 Strich = 1 Minute i.d. Woche (1 mark = 1 minute per week). After a good cleaning, it regulates well.

I just ordered a key, and have yet not reinstalled the movement -still in test. The case is all wood, but the base has four dovetailed-in and brown painted plastic feet. The bezel is also painted plastic. It's all factory-made, with a natural wood exterior and plywood behind the dial. The sides are a narrow rattan lace and the whole thing is creepy dark. A previous owner placed it above something hot, so some heat/smoke damage. I hope the spring is OK. All appears original, and it's missing some type of 3-holed cover plate over the suspension, likely with circlips as the posts are grooved, and there is a sprung lever which likely locks the crutch, maybe to move it around safely, but I don't know how it stays out of the way, so I made a wire keeper. Maybe something is missing?

The back cover either had a fixed knob, or a rotating latch to stay closed. No key keeper I can see. The "Excalibur" style sword hands were painted black but rusted solid, so I took most of that out and blued them to see how they might look. The minute hand is brass centered and squared. No front glass, as the #3 key goes in the front and hands must be set manually. Centre wheel teeth (CW) 52 / Third wheel teeth (TW) 47 pinion (TP) 8 / Fourth wheel teeth (FW) 47 pinion (FP) 8 / Escape wheel teeth (EW) 28 pinion (EP) 8 yields the following from clockmaker's aid: Beats per minute =209.39, Beats per hour =12563.69. The period of the pendulum will be 0.29 seconds, and the theoretical pendulum length will be 81.626cm. This calculation was spot on.

It's running strong and keeping pretty good time for what I thought was a beater. The mainspring is open, but like other German clocks I've seen, there is a bridge for easy access to remove and replace the spring without plate disassembly. Again - typically German and not bad for a cheap clock. Except for the center, all the other pinions are lantern-style and the recoil escapement is the typical flat/bent (but not blue) fishhook shape.

Mid-century? just before (or after) WWII? 1950's? What do you all think? I can take more pictures, but here's a start. Many thanks in advance for your thoughts!

HermleMantleFront.jpg HermleMantleRearDoor.jpg HermleMantleMovementRear.jpg HermleMantleMovementRear.jpg