vintage hammond wood mantel clock masterchron

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by jwisewoman, May 7, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jwisewoman

jwisewoman Guest

I bought a vintage clock at an estate sale, and I am completely perplexed! Please help me! It's a Hammond wood mantel clock and the model/style name is "Masterchron."
    After much research, I can only locate a "Chronmaster." OR a "masterchron" with Chronmaster Clock Co. But NOT Mastercron and Hammond TOGETHER. Please let me know if anyone has come across this model clock, and if so, it's worth. ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!

2. jwisewoman

jwisewoman Guest

I bought a vintage clock at an estate sale, and I am completely perplexed! Please help me! It's a Hammond wood mantel clock and the model/style name is "Masterchron."
    After much research, I can only locate a "Chronmaster." OR a "masterchron" with Chronmaster Clock Co. But NOT Mastercron and Hammond TOGETHER. Please let me know if anyone has come across this model clock, and if so, it's worth. ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!

3. jwisewoman

jwisewoman Guest

4. jwisewoman

jwisewoman Guest

5. Missy

Missy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 27, 2004
    Female
    Ms.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi and welcome. Sorry we can not discuss value on this board. However if you check this site I believe you will find your clock. Hammond made some really beautiful clocks. I have several and fighting the urge to start collecting more. It was strange that your question came up on the board as I am bidding on one now. I think you will find the site interesting.

Let us know if this is your clock.

Regards,

Missy

6. Missy

Missy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 27, 2004
    Female
    Ms.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi and welcome. Sorry we can not discuss value on this board. However if you check this site I believe you will find your clock. Hammond made some really beautiful clocks. I have several and fighting the urge to start collecting more. It was strange that your question came up on the board as I am bidding on one now. I think you will find the site interesting.

Let us know if this is your clock.

Regards,

Missy

7. jwisewoman

jwisewoman Guest

Thanks for your quick response Missy! Yes, I had already checked the site. The problem I'm having is: I see my exact clock (Hammond Chronmaster) BUT my clock says Hammond Masterchron. I have seen NO OTHER Hammond clock that says "Masterchron". ONLY "Chronmaster." This may mean absolutely nothing, but I just wanted to hear that from someone who knows! Thanks so much! :)

8. jwisewoman

jwisewoman Guest

Thanks for your quick response Missy! Yes, I had already checked the site. The problem I'm having is: I see my exact clock (Hammond Chronmaster) BUT my clock says Hammond Masterchron. I have seen NO OTHER Hammond clock that says "Masterchron". ONLY "Chronmaster." This may mean absolutely nothing, but I just wanted to hear that from someone who knows! Thanks so much! :)

9. Missy

Missy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 27, 2004
    Female
    Ms.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That IS strange! I see what you are saying now.
    Can you post pictures of your clock front and back?

Maybe Phil, the moderator for this section will move your question down to the "Early Electric Clocks & Watches" where it will get more exposure from the "electric experts" (I'm not). I just love clocks and try to help when I can.
    BTW, I didn't win my Hammond Synchronous on EBay tonight. I'm not very good at EBaying either. :frown:

Sorry I couldn't help,

Missy

10. Missy

Missy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 27, 2004
    Female
    Ms.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That IS strange! I see what you are saying now.
    Can you post pictures of your clock front and back?

Maybe Phil, the moderator for this section will move your question down to the "Early Electric Clocks & Watches" where it will get more exposure from the "electric experts" (I'm not). I just love clocks and try to help when I can.
    BTW, I didn't win my Hammond Synchronous on EBay tonight. I'm not very good at EBaying either. :frown:

Sorry I couldn't help,

Missy

11. jwisewoman

jwisewoman Guest

Okay! I'll post the pics. . . .you were helpful in making me not think I'm crazy :) Thanks again!

12. jwisewoman

jwisewoman Guest

Okay! I'll post the pics. . . .you were helpful in making me not think I'm crazy :) Thanks again!

13. jwisewoman

jwisewoman Guest

I'm having a difficult time posting the pics. Will continue to try to do this today... any other input about this clock is encouraged!! Thanks!!!

14. jwisewoman

jwisewoman Guest

I'm having a difficult time posting the pics. Will continue to try to do this today... any other input about this clock is encouraged!! Thanks!!!

15. jwisewoman

jwisewoman Guest

Thanks Phil. Hopefully somebody will know something!

16. jwisewoman

jwisewoman Guest

Thanks Phil. Hopefully somebody will know something!

17. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  18. Scottie-TX

Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  19. jwisewoman

jwisewoman Guest

Parvenu? Can you tell me what that means?

20. jwisewoman

jwisewoman Guest

Parvenu? Can you tell me what that means?

21. jwisewoman

jwisewoman Guest

I swear that is not the case. I couldn't figure out how to post a picture on here. I did register yesterday because I want to find out about this clock in case I want to take it off ebay. This is the only vintage clock forum I could find. There is nothing about this clock anywhere else. But as far as I know, it's not anything unique.
    Sorry you thought that. I will remove my picture.

22. jwisewoman

jwisewoman Guest

I swear that is not the case. I couldn't figure out how to post a picture on here. I did register yesterday because I want to find out about this clock in case I want to take it off ebay. This is the only vintage clock forum I could find. There is nothing about this clock anywhere else. But as far as I know, it's not anything unique.
    Sorry you thought that. I will remove my picture.

23. Scottie-TX

Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    WOE, woe! WHOA, "WW". That's not my clock. I wasn't inferring anything you perceived. I was simply doing you and others the favor of having a picture directly on the page for quick, easy viewing. That picture, "WW" is the one on the auction. I simply vacuumed the picture FROM the auction and transferred it here for YOU! KOOL?

24. Scottie-TX

Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    WOE, woe! WHOA, "WW". That's not my clock. I wasn't inferring anything you perceived. I was simply doing you and others the favor of having a picture directly on the page for quick, easy viewing. That picture, "WW" is the one on the auction. I simply vacuumed the picture FROM the auction and transferred it here for YOU! KOOL?

25. jwisewoman

jwisewoman Guest

I appreciate you fixing the picture. Anyway, if anyone knows why my clock is different, please post a message. Thanks.

26. jwisewoman

jwisewoman Guest

I appreciate you fixing the picture. Anyway, if anyone knows why my clock is different, please post a message. Thanks.

27. Hi,
    The Masterchron,Chronmaster and the Hammond Como all use the same movement and dial for the exception of the name on the dial. Hammond made all the movements and dials. The wood cases are different but I would suspect they are all made by the same manafactuer. These clocks were made at a time when self starting clocks had taken the market over. Hammond as you well know still had the spin to start movement.
    The Hammonds used a better quiality case that the Chronmaster and Masterchron. The Hammonds are more desirable than the other two. Exactly who marketed the Masterchron and Chronmaster I am not sure but I would venture to say Hammond had a piece of the action. Hammond made and furinshed movements and dials with different names for Bulova, Whitehall, Masterchron, Chronmaster, Carlton, Gilbert-Rhodes, Herman-Miller and a clock Sears sold under the name National Time. There were many others. The Whitehalls, Herman-Millers, Gilbert Rhodes and Bulovas were of high quiality over and above most.
    The most desirable in order being the Gilbert-Rhodes, Herman-Miller, Whitehall-Hammond, Bulova, Hammond, Chronmaster, Masterchron and pretty much at the bottom of this list the Carlton and National Time. All the above having the same movement. All the above clocks were mass produced for the exception of Gilbert Rhodes and the rather plain Carlton.
    Chas.

28. Hi,
    The Masterchron,Chronmaster and the Hammond Como all use the same movement and dial for the exception of the name on the dial. Hammond made all the movements and dials. The wood cases are different but I would suspect they are all made by the same manafactuer. These clocks were made at a time when self starting clocks had taken the market over. Hammond as you well know still had the spin to start movement.
    The Hammonds used a better quiality case that the Chronmaster and Masterchron. The Hammonds are more desirable than the other two. Exactly who marketed the Masterchron and Chronmaster I am not sure but I would venture to say Hammond had a piece of the action. Hammond made and furinshed movements and dials with different names for Bulova, Whitehall, Masterchron, Chronmaster, Carlton, Gilbert-Rhodes, Herman-Miller and a clock Sears sold under the name National Time. There were many others. The Whitehalls, Herman-Millers, Gilbert Rhodes and Bulovas were of high quiality over and above most.
    The most desirable in order being the Gilbert-Rhodes, Herman-Miller, Whitehall-Hammond, Bulova, Hammond, Chronmaster, Masterchron and pretty much at the bottom of this list the Carlton and National Time. All the above having the same movement. All the above clocks were mass produced for the exception of Gilbert Rhodes and the rather plain Carlton.
    Chas.

29. Missy

Missy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 27, 2004
    Female
    Ms.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Charles, thank you for explaining this perplexing question. I knew from reading your past posts, if anyone could explain this, you could. That is why I suggested dropping it down to early electric clocks.I was as puzzled as jww on the difference in the name.

For some reason I am drawn to Hammond synchronous clocks. I love the pretty wood cases and the onyx ones :eek: I thought I would start collecting them and have been bidding on some on EBay, but it seems everyone else has the same idea. :frown:

Thanks again for this information on Hammond,

Missy

30. Missy

Missy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 27, 2004
    Female
    Ms.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Charles, thank you for explaining this perplexing question. I knew from reading your past posts, if anyone could explain this, you could. That is why I suggested dropping it down to early electric clocks.I was as puzzled as jww on the difference in the name.

For some reason I am drawn to Hammond synchronous clocks. I love the pretty wood cases and the onyx ones :eek: I thought I would start collecting them and have been bidding on some on EBay, but it seems everyone else has the same idea. :frown:

Thanks again for this information on Hammond,

Missy

31. Scottie-TX

Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Uh, MISSY; "other people bid too"? Uh, MISSY; "DUUUH" ?

32. Scottie-TX

Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Uh, MISSY; "other people bid too"? Uh, MISSY; "DUUUH" ?