Vintage Ergo Ships clock

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I did not need this clock, but because it has a ship wheel, 18 and a half inches in dia, i thought a nice size so bought it. Since my 65 th birthday is coming up and 30 dollars wont break the bank. The owner only knows it was her dad,s and its vintage. It has two winding arbours, so guessing time and strike. I have done alot of looking and i cant find what kind of movement it may have. Thinking its German made, maybe a Hermle movement.
Thanks for any thoughts on the clock.

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
I did not need this clock, but because it has a ship wheel, 18 and a half inches in dia, i thought a nice size so bought it. Since my 65 th birthday is coming up and 30 dollars wont break the bank. The owner only knows it was her dad,s and its vintage. It has two winding arbours, so guessing time and strike. I have done alot of looking and i cant find what kind of movement it may have. Thinking its German made, maybe a Hermle movement.

first off, what does need have to with anything... especially clocks?

second... photos?

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi Bruce, did i post this in the clock forum?and yes i rea;ize pics wou;d maybe help, but really it was just a question, did not know a pic woulod really help much with the question i asked.
I thought it was ok to ask a clock question in the General clocks forum? If not where would one post a clock related question?

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Hi Bruce, did i post this in the clock forum?and yes i rea;ize pics wou;d maybe help, but really it was just a question, did not know a pic woulod really help much with the question i asked.
I thought it was ok to ask a clock question in the General clocks forum? If not where would one post a clock related question?

i'm no longer an admin or moderator... but the minimal description you provided is not enough to go on... you asked for thoughts and that's all i've got without seeing what we talking about.

is there are reason you haven't opened it up to see what's inside?

Reactions: bwclock

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
It's perfectly fine to ask your question here, but without pictures of what you have, no one can answer it.

'Ergo' was trade name used by a number of makers.

JTD

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I dont have it so just a pic of the outside wont tell much. I cant find anything on what movements Ergo used in their mechanical clocks. Will know later. I provided the most info i could, i should have it in about a week and will know more then, just kind of surprised about the lack of info i have found.
Still dont understand your comments Bruce, anyways have a good day.

Bsohne

Sep 1, 2020
Country
HI Kevin
Congratulations.. .on your recent aquition . Sounds like you already caught the fever... and seem very excited. Without pics its more of a challange what does it say on the dial ? Let see if we can point you in the right direction...

Good Hunting
BIll

Reactions: Kevin W.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi Bill i will post some pics later. I love this hobby, been in it over 20 years, just bought another clock yesterday. Will post pics of that one too, soon.

Les harland

Apr 10, 2008
Hertfordshire England
Country
Region
Kevin
I think your original post highlights one of the most serious problems with our interest
Having decided you do not want any more clocks/watches you see one and cannot resist the temptation to buy it
Most if not every one here has either done the same or come very close to doing so

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I agree Les, trying to be selective, mostly in what i do buy. Always had a interest in ships clocks. I guess worse case scenario i may be giving away clocks later for free. Sure cant seem to sell them.

Reactions: Bsohne

Bsohne

Sep 1, 2020
Country
I agree Les, trying to be selective, mostly in what i do buy. Always had a interest in ships clocks. I guess worse case scenario i may be giving away clocks later for free. Sure cant seem to sell them.
Hi Kevin

That happens to everyone.... and if someone tells you differently , they are fibbing...

ITs ok to give away clocks also . i have done that as well...

Good Hunting
Bill

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi Bill, thanks Bill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members