Vintage Boucheron Paris Gold Watch

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by hsjnlssmith, Aug 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. hsjnlssmith

hsjnlssmith Registered User

Jan 13, 2012
    Offshore Construction Engineer
    Houston, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A friend of mine came across the below watch and was asking if I knew anything about it. I am more of a clock enthusiast so I really could not help him with it. I told him I would check around and see if I could find anything out for him. The side of the watch has Boucheron Paris etched/stamped into it. On the back, the following letters/numbers are etched/stamped: BT1203255 77045.

The watch is missing its glass and has a missing hand and generally looks to be in poor condition. I have done a google search and found similar watches but not this exact design and was looking for the estimated manufacture date and any other info that is available. it is quite heavy and appears to be made of gold.

Thanks, Henry

20190806_220622[39523].jpg 20190806_214758[39525].jpg 20190806_220640[39524].jpg

2. Hawk53

Hawk53 Registered User

Dec 19, 2013
    retired
    native Californian
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What is the piece of :???: sticking out on the stem side?

3. hsjnlssmith

Jan 13, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you are talking about the piece sticking out at the edge of the watch where the band connects to the case (top right in 1st photo), it is actually part of the band-to-watch interface. You can see it more clearly on the reverse photo at the bottom right.

When I looked at the watch, I was able to slide that piece and center the band with the watch. Hope that is clear.

Henry

4. hsjnlssmith

Jan 13, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I saw the watch for a short period during a family vacation I recently took in Australia, so I don't have the option to get more photos or open the case up to look at the movement. This is all that i have currently.

At the time, my friend was wondering if he should try and get it fixed or sell it for gold value. I was more interested in restoration thoughts.

Henry

5. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    These always 18k gold. Look for tiny French hallmarks, sometimes animal shaped. Animal heads, bugs etc. They made a whole series of these from the 60' to th e80's with unusual sliding mechanism as shown JL_Boucheron_Watch5_master.jpg

6. Hawk53

Hawk53 Registered User

Dec 19, 2013
    retired
    native Californian
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I really hate that word "scrap"....

7. D.th.munroe

D.th.munroe Registered User
    Donor

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Full time clock and watchmaker
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Henry
    I believe that is a "Carré - clous de paris" the "clou de paris" would be the textured finish on the front.
    It would be as Jeff said from the 60s-90s and 18k gold, the case for sure, the band may be as well.
    As for restoration or scrap (I agree with Hawk53)
    It doesn't look too bad, If the movement is ok it would be a higher quality one as well and restored would make a very nice watch.
    Dan

8. hsjnlssmith

Jan 13, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks to you all for your inputs to my query. I am also a proponent of restoring time pieces.

Are there any catalogues that exist for these watches or any other documentation that you can point me toward?

Thanks, Henry

9. D.th.munroe

D.th.munroe Registered User
    Donor

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Full time clock and watchmaker
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I thought I had a magazine ad for similar watches but I cant seem to find it
    If you Google "Carré - clous de paris" there is a few

10. hsjnlssmith

Jan 13, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the response. I googled as you suggested and found a couple of watches that appear to be quite similar to the one in my original post. However, on the back of the watch, the ones I googled appear to use screws to secure the back plate. There are no screws on the one I showed. Also, the word and number stamps appear to be not so perfect as the ones I have seen on Google making me think that the above watch may be an earlier version. I am trying to figure out how much earlier.

I did contact Boucheron, but they said they would not disclose any information over the phone or email regarding serial numbers and that I would have to bring the watch into a Boucheron dealer. Their efforts would require a couple of weeks to look over the watch and it would only cost me 1000 Euros.