Vincenti et Cie "Grandmother" clock

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Snapper, Jan 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Snapper

Snapper Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    The photographs are of the Vincenti movement from a superb miniature longcase clock dating from around 1900-1910 as a guess. The case is very heavy solid rosewood inlaid with satinwood shell and vase motifs and stands at 28 inches tall.

The movement, apart from being filthy and suffering slightly from heavy-handed screwdriver work, is in remarkably good order. However I have not worked on one of these before so does anyone have any tips to enable the cleaning and servicing to go smoothly please? Also does anyone know the significance of the "RC" logo in the second picture?

Vincenti-1.jpg Vincenti-2.jpg Vincenti-3.jpg Vincenti-4.jpg

2. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Take photos before disassembly and during disassembly. Usually do not need bushings, just cleaning, polishing pivots, and pegging holes. Be very careful in assembly. The pivots are very hard and brittle. They will break easily if put under undue pressure. Very good, dependable movements. Could you post photos of the case? I’m curious.

3. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When reassembling this movement the fine pivots can easily bend or snap off. French clocks usually fit together well. Make sure the plates go easily together before starting to add the internals. Then whith the internal parts in place gently push each pivot into position and allow the upper plate ro drop under its own weight. Do not force anything and do not allow the top place to tilt in relationship to the bottom plate. Before you take it apart, look carefully at the wheels and pinions of the strike side. There are usually timing marks such as a small divot in the rim of a wheel or a trimmed corner of a pinion. These will need to be lined up correctly when the movement is put together. Steven Conover's book French Clock Repair should be helpful although I don't recall is it covers Vincenti, but all round French movements are essentially similar.

Good luck,

RC

4. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 13, 2011
    web developer
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    repeated for emphasis... repivoting one of these requires better vision than i have.

conover's Repairing French Pendulum Clocks might be worth ordering... he's also got a short chapter that covers reassembly in his Striking Clock Repair

go slow... be extremely mindful at all times if/when you're putting any pressure on a pivot... there is a way to reassemble the pieces in order that makes it slightly less stressful but i can never remember it. :cool:

5. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This might be obvious but i will say it. I find doing assembley at eye level works best for me, and have a light source aimed so you can see and line the pivots up to their holes. All great advice given by others.

6. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I lay the top plate on and begin locating pivots in both trains from large wheels to small. When inserting pins in posts, do not tighten any until all is done. Do not add pressure. Let gravity do it.

Kevin W. likes this.
  7. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes. Lighting is very important.

8. Snapper

Snapper Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    This excellent advice is very welcome, and I thank you all. I do work on watches too so I am pivot aware, but I can't help approaching this job with a certain amount of trepidation.

Kevin W. likes this.
  9. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    How about a case photo?

10. shutterbug

shutterbug Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A rubber band around both plates adds a small amount of pressure to hold things together, but not enough to hurt anything.

11. Snapper

Snapper Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Thanks again for the suggestions and tips. Much appreciated. Now by popular request, here is a photograph of the case.

Vincenti-5.jpg

12. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What a neat clock. Please show us the whole clock when completed.