• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

French $ Vincenti clock

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
can I use brasso to clean the specter parts?
No, the spelter parts don't need cleaning. Just dust them. You could use Brasso on the bezel.

JTD

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Some final questions: can I use brasso to clean the specter parts? Would this clock be better or worse than my other French clock? View attachment 598827
Yes, just dust, or use a slightly damp cloth at the most. Both clocks are nice and of similar quality, so one isn’t “worse” than the other. I’m the figure on the second one is spelter as well. If it is bronze, however, that obviously makes it better than spelter. Personally, I find the second clock more appealing, but that’s just my opinion.

Regards.

Evernia

Jun 12, 2020
Country
A problem with brasso is if you leave traces of it behind it actually corrodes the metal in the long term, and it is very hard to clean every last bit of polish out of cracks unless you have disassembled parts.

Reactions: PatH

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
If the either clock is bronze, definitely do not polish the bronze.

The rule of thumb is to let bronze age naturally. Its value will decrease if it is polished.

Regardless of the material (bronze versus spelter), I agree with what has been stated - just dust it.

Regards.

macaw

NAWCC Member
Jul 23, 2014
Minnesota
Country
It could be bronze plated spelter, but it really doesn't matter if it's bronze or spelter, just that it looks good, which it does.
The best way to really clean these is to completely disassemble them, everything is just bolted on, use a mild soap and water, then be sure everything is totally dry before re-assembly. I use an ultrasonic myself, but not everyone has one, or one large enough.

Last edited:

Calvin H. Huynh

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
best way to really clean these is to completely disassemble them, everything is just bolted on, use a mild soap and water, then be sure everything is totally dry before re-assembly. I use an ultrasonic myself, but not everyone has one, or one large enough.
You mean you put the entire statue in?

macaw

NAWCC Member
Jul 23, 2014
Minnesota
Country
I disassemble everything and ultrasonic all the metal parts including the statue. This is the only way to get everything clean for the first time in 100+ years. Without the us you can just use mild soap and water to get all the dirt and grime out of all the places that just dusting or assembled cleaning can't get to. If you use an ultrasonic you need to be very careful with the cleaner you use and how long you have it going. With gold statues and parts, doing it right, I can very often bring the original gold out. If you want to find out if your gold statue is gold or paint, you can use a small spot of paint remover in a hidden place, or you can get a cheap gold test kit from Ebay or Amazon. If you look inside the statue after removing it from the base, you may be able to tell if it was painted or plated. I have have doubts the the factories used paint. From what I've seen the painting was done long after the manufacturing, but I can always be proven wrong, which is why is ask a lot of questions.

macaw

NAWCC Member
Jul 23, 2014
Minnesota
Country
I'd use dish soap and a soft towel. Kerosene is an oil and shouldn't hurt plating, but you'll need to get the kerosene off with a mild detergent (dish soap) so I'd skip the kerosene.

macaw

NAWCC Member
Jul 23, 2014
Minnesota
Country
How do I disassemble the marble?
You don't disassemble the marble as Steven said. I just use car polish to clean marble (not any with abrasives). With porous rock, just use mild soap and water (on a towel). Don't soak any of it as it's all only held together with plaster that will easily dissolve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JBowers
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Private Label Watch by Kent