French $ Vincenti clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Salsagev, Jun 28, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was told This French clock is by vincenti. How old is it and can I have some background information on it?

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Did you mean to post a photo?

JTD

3. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Hi,

Pardon the self-publicity, but I've already given my two cents worth in my first reply to your "vacation finds" thread, so you cna refer to that if you wish.

Regards.

4. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, I did but it disappeared. I’ll try again.
    whats this?

5. Ticktocktime100

I'm referring to my reply to your thread "Vacation clock finds", which I enclose once again below:

1. The figural clock is late 19th century, and dates to 1880-1900. It has a typical French movement, known as a "mouvement de Paris" as these movements were mostly produced in Paris and the surrounding areas. As you know, it was made by Vincenti & Cie. The figure appears to be signed F. Moreau. The Moreau was an important family of French sculptors throughout the 19th century, the most famous members being Auguste and Mathurin Moreau. The Moreau brothers agreed to make spelter reproductions (of which this is one), of the bronze original for clock companies to produce pieces such as this. The hands don't appear to be original - value around $200-300, perhaps.

6. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you, but all I needed was an explanation of what you meant.

7. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is there gold in the statue? How old is this clock. What would the hand look like original? And no, these questions have not been answered before.

8. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Please be careful to read the the information people give you. Two of your questions have been answered already.

No. You have already been told the material from which the statue is made (post #5 above

This has been answered in post #5.

JTD

9. macaw

macaw Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Minnesota
    Country Flag:
    It's spelter which is a cheap metal, and then gold plated.

10. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So there is gold then.
    Are you sure? The medallion says 1855.
    no, this hasn’t been answered.

11. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    #11 JTD, Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    So little as to be insignificant. (Even if it is gold plated, which it may not be).
    As has been said before, the medallion is just the date when the company won the award, not a date of manufacture. They could continue to use for as long as they liked.

JTD

12. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I asked if there was any gold in the statue, implying that I want to know if there is there any sort of gold. Even if it is in minute Form.
    ?

13. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    In my opinion it is not gold plated.

Over and out.

JTD

14. Evernia

Evernia Registered User

Jun 12, 2020
    Country Flag:
    If you look on an image search for other clocks by the same maker you will be able to see various different hands. Patterns which turn up on more than one clock are more likely to be original, and some just look right and suit - the ones on this clock at present are far plainer than the rest of the clock. Can you find a clock (or more) with hands you think this might have had when original? There are probably different options and not just one right answer.

Salsagev and JTD like this.
  15. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A lot I found had the circular type. Am I right?

16. macaw

macaw Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Minnesota
    Country Flag:
    What makes it gold colored? Were these originally painted, or painted after the plating was worn off? Or is spelter actually gold colored? Somebody please clue me in because I could be wasting a lot of gold on restoring customers' clocks.

17. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    No, spelter is not gold colored, it is a grayish metal. Highest quality clocks were gilded, but this is no longer practical. Most of the others were painted gold.

What are you using - is it gold leaf? If so you can get 'non-gold' gold leaf, which looks very good and is a fraction of the price. Another possibiility is Rub-'n'-Buff which comes in various shades of gold and gives a very acceptable finish.

Hope this helps.
    JTD

18. Ticktocktime100

The clock would originally have had trefoil or Renaissance style hands. If you look these up online, you will see what I mean. A pair can be obtained rather inexpensively.

Regards.

19. macaw

macaw Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Minnesota
    Country Flag:
    This does help a lot. I use gold plating and match the original from some of the few spots that are left in hidden places. It's not cheap and far from easy to get a close match, but it can be done.

20. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was thinking about something like this. Tennis dance hands would probably look better.

09D55ACC-017A-4F45-B4D0-DA3AEE57F31A.png

21. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Does this look anything like gold? 95669091-2C9A-415B-83EE-F0FF43EFE832.jpeg

22. Evernia

Evernia Registered User

Jun 12, 2020
    Country Flag:
    The circle hands - called moon or Breguet hands - are indeed used on a lot of clocks of similar age but I agree with ticktocktime they are not the most likely to have been on this clock. Moon hands would be a more likely choice on something with a bit less ornamentation, especially the centre of the dial. I am sure there are clocks with ornamented dials and moon hands, but they are not what is expected.

23. Evernia

Evernia Registered User

Jun 12, 2020
    Country Flag:
  24. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    It is gold color. That doesn't mean it's gold.

JTD

25. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks similar but a but darker.

26. Evernia

Evernia Registered User

Jun 12, 2020
    Country Flag:
    And the texture?

27. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Evernia should be thanked. He has sent you a very good, clear, sharp photo of what is a really nice gilded clock. There is a world of difference between that and the gold colored spelter on yours.

I should take a note of this example, file it for future reference, and learn from it. That way you will able to know what you are looking at next time.

JTD

28. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mine is more bumpy in spots.

29. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This looks like the gilded clock.

27E7D21A-B1FB-4C24-9EE1-1F3CB18EC03E.jpeg

30. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Exactly. Not gold, just painted spelter.

JTD

31. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    No, it doesn't. That is polished brass. When you have seen more real gilt, then you will see the difference.

JTD

32. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This thread is a hoot, as far as I can tell the OP hasn't even posted any pictures to show the clock in question in its entirety.

33. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, I tried and it dint work. I’ll try again now.

34. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  35. Ticktocktime100

No, Breguet style hands wouldn't be right. Again, look up Renaissance style or trefoil hands, as those are the correct ones. The figure is NOT gold, but the spelter gained its gold colour through a technique called electrolysis.

36. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I did. I said renaissance hands look fine.

37. macaw

macaw Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Minnesota
    Country Flag:
    Where does one learn about this? The only electrolysis that I am aware of is plating (a form of electrolysis), or gold recovery and separation using electrolysis.

38. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I thought this was hair removal.

39. Ticktocktime100

Hi,

Yes, the form of electrolysis in question here, as I understand it, is indeed plating. I presume this technique was used on spelter clock figures and such because it was quicker and certainly more cost efficient than gilding. I'm sure any decent physics book or manual, and reference books on metalworking will contain a technical explanation of the process.

Regards.

40. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I'm not so sure about that. I recently asked the guy who is a professional plater if he could nickel plate a little spelter clock case and he said it was not possible to satisfactorily plate spelter.

I have never heard or read of electrolysis being used on spelter parts of antique clocks but, as always, I may be wrong.

JTD

41. Evernia

Evernia Registered User

Jun 12, 2020
    Country Flag:
    Spelter needs a two part electroplating process - first with copper and then gold on the copper. spelter

42. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I know, but many platers won't do it.

JTD

43. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is a French figural clock with what appears to be a marble base with metal decoration, I can't imagine any real gold ever went near it. Dating Vincenti movements is quite difficult as there seems to be very little information on the company and the 1834 and 1855 silver medals seem to be the only ones found on movements, one source says it is believed the company ceased making movements in 1870 but gives no evidence to support that.

44. macaw

macaw Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Minnesota
    Country Flag:
    Plating (electroplating) uses a chemical solution and a DC electrical current to affix a metal coating, in this case for coloring, to another metals surface. To use electroplating to color another metal gold, the solution needs to include gold. One electrode is attached to the metal being plated and another in the solution. The metal in solution is drawn by the direct current onto the metal being plated. Many clock manufacturers used this method on spelter, such as Ansonia's plating of gold, silver, and bronze on their statue clocks. When the spelter corrodes under the plating, the spelter comes through, which is why so many of the statue clocks one finds today are all grey. To replate these one must remove all the corrosion down to the base metal, and when doing this one will sometimes find traces of the original plating. This is what I do and how I have a slight knowledge of it. And yes spelter can be a b-.

45. Ticktocktime100

Many thanks - that definitely clarifies things then.

Regards.

46. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the info. I can’t expect too much from a clock like this anyway. But what “class” of homes would this be situated in?

47. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Perhaps middle to upper-middle class is my guess. A clock that has this type of more "ornate" styling usually is placed in a room that also compliments that style with similar furniture, etc.

48. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    These days I just hope it has or will find one.

49. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Huh?

50. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Some final questions: can I use brasso to clean the specter parts? Would this clock be better or worse than my other French clock? upload_2020-7-4_9-43-21.jpg