• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Vincenti & Cie Medaille D’Argent 1855

Marcos Scheuenstuhl

Jul 31, 2021
Country
I'm a relatively new collector and just brought home my newest (3rd) acquisition. From my research I understand that Vincenti & Cie went out of business in about 1870, so this clock probably dates from around 1855-1870. Is this correct? Would appreciate comments and further information.

1.jpeg
2.jpeg

3.jpeg
4.jpeg 6.jpeg
5.jpeg

7.jpeg 8.jpeg 9.jpeg

10.jpeg 11.jpg 12.jpeg
Vincenti - Medaille D'Argent.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Missy

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
A very ornate garniture set. Vincenti is said to have ceased production around 1870 so the dates you mention are correct. The movement also has an oval logo which I can't make out but is likely that of the finisher of the movement.

Reactions: Marcos Scheuenstuhl

Marcos Scheuenstuhl

Jul 31, 2021
Country
A very ornate garniture set. Vincenti is said to have ceased production around 1870 so the dates you mention are correct. The movement also has an oval logo which I can't make out but is likely that of the finisher of the movement.
There is the oval engraving: VE. Any idea of what it stands for?

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-21 at 16.39.33.jpeg

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
VE. Any idea of what it stands for?
A prediction of an Allied forces Victory in Europe? ;-)

No idea, but I do like the set and the artwork very much. Congratulations on the acquisition!

How does such a French clock set bear such an Italian name? Well, the two nations do share a border. If anyone knows, it would be interesting to hear about. I think that "cup" on the top with the serpents or sea horses seems to have been extremely popular. My white alabaster Japy from a little later has a very similarly shaped ornamental crown...

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
The initials "VE" are possibly the initials of the clock finisseur (finisher), the worker who performs the last stage in the process, for example finishing a case or dial, fitting a gear train, or rounding off the wheels and correcting any defects to the gears.

I think Vincenti was a Corsican who set up a clock making shop in Montbeliard in 1823. He died in 1834. His business was carried on by Roux et Cie, I believe, throughout the 19th century as Vincenti et Cie.

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
Very nice clock set - I don’t have much to add other than to confirm what others are saying that the date of around 1855-1870 would be a best guess, and that like other, I believe VE to be the finisseur, although I don’t know what Ve stands for.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
There is the oval engraving: VE. Any idea of what it stands for?
Sorry no. You often see such marks on these movements and for the identity of such finishers to be unknown is not uncommon.

As has been said Vincenti was from Corsica which was part of the Republic of Genoa until the French annexed it in the late 18th C, Naopleon Bonaparte also came from Corsica.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
john33g
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-