Vigor Motor

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by Yastrimsk, Feb 16, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. Yastrimsk

Yastrimsk Registered User

Jan 1, 2014
    Hello. I have an old Vigor lathe motor. It’s 115 volts ac/dc. My question is, how many amps and what hp is it ? I’m interested in purchasing a variac speed controller and concerned about getting one that’s safe for the amps that I have. I’m looking for plug and play, no complicated altercations. Also, is there any basic maintenance that can be done to these motors, do the need oil or grease ? Thanks in advance. 337B9F83-CCB4-41C1-8146-E4CB9F66975E.jpeg

2. topspy

topspy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Male
    Video engineer
    Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Most of these are 1/10 Hp. I'm not sure how many amps, but it will be quite small. I have rebuilt several of these (various types.) First loosen the pulley setscrew and remove the pulley. Remove the brush cover screws on the side, and remove the brushes and springs. Be careful as the brush holders are bakelite and quite brittle. If they break you can superglue them back together. Remove the screws that hold the two motor halves together and gently pull the motor apart. Remove the armature. Some motors have bearings, others do not. If it has bearings test them to see that they spin with no 'crunchiness.' Replace them if needed,most are common sizes and are labeled on the side, and you can order them from many suppliers. Blow out any debris and lightly sand the commutator (where the brushes rub) to remove varnish. If the power cord is in poor condition you can replace it, but this is usually the most difficult part. Reassemble and test. If there are no bearings make sure to apply oil to the bushings (Non bearing motors usually have oil cups or oilers on them.)

3. Yastrimsk

Yastrimsk Registered User

Jan 1, 2014
    Thanks for all the info.

4. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use a Variac with several ac motors and it works well. Variac is a trademark of General Radio and their stuff was made well. Non brand Variacs look likes may not be as good and condition matters.

5. measuretwice

measuretwice Registered User

Jul 28, 2019
    Male
    Toronto
    Country Flag:
    1 HP = 750 watts., 1/10th = 75 watts. Putting aside efficiency etc, A=W/V = 120/75 = .625. Hardly anything.

A Variac is a variable transformer and kind of overkill for this imo....given it's a universal motor you could get a foot speed control for less money. Speaking for myself, I think a foot control is a requirement for a watchmakers lathe (if that's the application)....I'd find it awkward without one