Vienna Regulator Striking Wall Clock

lizzy21043

Jun 17, 2013
Hello All -

I am interested in identifying the clock in the attached pictures. Only mark I can get to is the star on the back of the case. Believe it is American but looks like a lot of the Gustav Becker clocks.

Appreciate any information you can provide.

Thanks,
Liz

Attachments

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
The A in the Star of David looks like the logo of Adolf Stern as found in Mikrolisk's data base (see here)

Mikrolisk adds: "Verwendet z.B. von der "Hamburg-Amerikanische Uhrenfabrik" in Schramberg für die Firma Adolf Stern aus Wien, Österreich" ("Used, for example, by the Hamburg American Clock Co. in Schramberg for the firm of Adolf Stern out of Vienna, Austria.")

However, can you take and post some pictures of the clock's movement?

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Hello All -

I am interested in identifying the clock in the attached pictures. Only mark I can get to is the star on the back of the case. Believe it is American but looks like a lot of the Gustav Becker clocks.

Appreciate any information you can provide.

Thanks, Liz
Liz, Welcome to the NAWCC Message Board and thanks for posting your inquiry and the photos of your clock. Your clock is German/Austrian and Steven has correctly identified the mark on the back of the case. However, as he requested we will need photos of the back of the movement and also the movement support bracket and/or gong that is usually mounted to the back of the case to be able to fully identify your clock. If there is a logo and/or serial number stamped on the movement back or any other markings, please take a closeup of those for posting here. User the Macro setting on your camera to get the best photos.

Adolph Stern was a case maker as well as clock vendor and trader, so he bought movements from other companies to install in his cases for re-sale. These included Gustav Becker, Germania Regulatorfabrik, A. Willmann Co, H. Endler & Co, Concordia Uhrenfabrik, Koppel & Co, and others. Even if there is no logo stamp or name on the movement it may be possible for it to be identified from the design characteristics. For that reason we ask for movement details in particular and other parts for confirmation.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Indeed LIZ; WELCOME! Your reference to Becker clocks tells me you do have some background in clocks. Have you had this interest in clocks for a while? Perhaps you would share some of your clock interests. I am an incurable addict of Vienna clocks so of course I'm always anxious to take part in others' Vienna clocks. Will you be servicing this clock?
Oh well enough questions I guess. WELCOME!

Attachments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justincasejustintime
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller