vienna clock stops at 6mins to the hour

zzippy

Mar 23, 2016
london
Country
I have an RMS Vienna clock that stops 6 mins to the hour I can't see for the life of me why.
the repeat leaver is tight after so i move the hands a few mins onwards and it will go again
until 6 mins to the hour :???:??

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Without photos, no one knows what you have, so advice turns into just guesses. Posting photos of the front and back of the movement will get you the best response.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Check for wear on the stop/warn pins and lifting pins and as well as the levers that contact them. I'm assuming that the movement is clean and no bushing work needed.
Vernon

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
My first impulse is that the clock is stopping at warn.
It seems the slight additional energy needed to actuate the warn is enough to stop the clock.
My secondary conclusion is that the clock is lacking power.
If you do not know or understand the warn process in a clock movement, it is time you hit the books and discard the advice from UTube videos, etc.
Best of luck with your venture,
Dick

Reactions: Kevin W.

zzippy

Mar 23, 2016
london
Country
Check for wear on the stop/warn pins and lifting pins and as well as the levers that contact them. I'm assuming that the movement is clean and no bushing work needed.
Vernon
all been cleaned and yes it looks like it the warn system

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Check the pin position on the warn wheel when it stops. If that pin is at the bottom of the wheel at the point where it stops, sometimes the lever tab that stops the train jams on the pin. The wheel may need to be repositioned so the pin is on top. Or… you may be able to correct it by rotating the gathering pallet slightly.

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
If the situation is close enough that the warn will stop the movement, that movement is in trouble.
No amount of cleaning, oiling and adjusting will give a long term, reliable operating clock.
Once you solve the wear situation and provide sufficient power to the train, you will solve your problems.
JMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicobirdie
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent