• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Vienna Clock parts needed

Kent Dold

Jan 7, 2021
I am restoring a German clock that somebody gutted the chime side out of the movement. Would anybody have a like movement for parts where I can bring one back to life with?
I have attached several photo's to identify it. Any confirmation on the make would be helpful too, as I cannot see anything other than the Patent # on the back. Thank you, Kent clock1.jpg clock2.jpg clock3.jpg clock4.jpg clock5.jpg

Last edited:

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I agree your clock is likely German, but I cannot trace the patent (?) number on the back. I wonder if the 174470 may be a serial number and the word 'Patent' just a meaningless addition. Some manufacturers even put totally fictional patent numbers on their products.

Just having the word Patent by itself is somewhat unusual on a German movement, mostly you see DRP No. or DRGM No.

I cannot recognise the movement but there are those who can and I hope someone may be able to do so.

Others may know more.

JTD

Kent Dold

Jan 7, 2021
I agree your clock is likely German, but I cannot trace the patent (?) number on the back. I wonder if the 174470 may be a serial number and the word 'Patent' just a meaningless addition. Some manufacturers even put totally fictional patent numbers on their products.

Just having the word Patent by itself is somewhat unusual on a German movement, mostly you see DRP No. or DRGM No.

I cannot recognise the movement but there are those who can and I hope someone may be able to do so.

Others may know more.

JTD
Thanks for your reply. I did find the number 10 on the front side. You can see it in the photo.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Thanks for your reply. I did find the number 10 on the front side. You can see it in the photo.
I don't think that is of any great significance in identifying your clock.

However, I have just noticed the tapered end of the pendulum shaft, where the bob would attach. That is particular to one manufacturer, I think, but I cannot remember which (I have had a couple of clocks with this odd bob attachment).

I will try to find out and report back if I find something. Meanwhile others may immediately recognise it. (By the way, have you got the bob, or is that missing too?)

JTD

tom427cid

NAWCC Member
Mar 23, 2009
Moultonborough,NH
Country
Region
To me the dovetail block on the pendulum rod looks like a Becker. Might have been used by another maker but I am not aware of another. Another suggestion might be to find a movement that has the same arbor spacing rather than searching for parts. Jus sayin
tom

John Arrowood

NAWCC Member
NAWCC Gold Member
Dec 14, 2001
Becker did use the dovetail block for the pendulum on some of their bracket clocks. I have a Model no. 401 which was made in 1908 which has a very similar block for hanging the pendulum bob. I think the information was posted by John Hubby. I didn't include the source when I printed a copy to go with my clock.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Yes! It was a Becker I had with the dovetail block for the pendulum. I knew someone would remember for me. Thanks.

JTD

Kent Dold

Jan 7, 2021
I am pretty confident the movement is a Gustav. I think I will have to find a complete one and swap them. Thanks for trying!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
john33g
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-