VIENNA 30 DAY WALL CLOCK

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Artillero, May 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Artillero

Artillero Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2014
    Engineer
    Nevada and California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Fellow Collectors,
    I just finished cleaning and installing my new Vienna 30 day wall clock. It is 11" wide by 47 " tall and the case is a combination of walnut burl and mahogany. Unlike my last 30 day Vienna clock, this one started by itself as soon as I attached the weight. It has a very soft sound and a very small pendulum arc. I saw one similar in Claterbos which indicated that this might be considered from the late Biedermeier period (circa 1850). I would like to know from those more experienced in these clocks if that is a correct estimate?
    As I was having so much trouble getting my other 30 day Biedermeier to run reliably, the original seller took it in trade for this one. So far I am quite pleased.

Regards,
    Artillero

Vienna 30 Day movement back.jpg Vienna 30 Day movement side.jpg Vienna 30 day clock face.jpg Vienna 30 day case.jpg Vienna 30 Day installed.jpg

Kevin W. likes this.
  2. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A nice VR and a month runner too so what's not to like. The case is in the Biedermeier style and afaik the plain brass bezel appeared around 1850 as did bobs with a brass facing side and a zinc backing. In my experience, I have two single weight 8 day VRs, they can need a bit of tweaking when first hung but after that they run very reliably and keep good time.

3. Artillero

NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2014
    Engineer
    Nevada and California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sir,
    Thank you. My experience with these is a bit limited as I only developed an interest for them several years ago and it is a complicated field. I also have a three weight 8 day Altdeustch VR that proved a bit temperamental at first but has been running very dependably. The 30 day VR that I traded for this new acquisition was a real challenge. I got it running once and it lasted 38 days, keeping excellent time. After rewinding I was never able to get it running well again so after several weekends and trips to the shop, I decided that I had had enough frustration and I made the trade. These old long duration VR’s from the early to mid 1800’s can certainly prove temperamental but they are beautiful when running well.

4. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    To me, it looks very similar to a Wilhelm Bauer.
    Ron

5. Artillero

NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2014
    Engineer
    Nevada and California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ron,
    Thank you for your reply. What are the defining characteristics for you which indicate that it is a clock made by Wilhelm Bauer and would you be able to share some history about the clockmaker. It is running very well and I really like the workmanship of the clock case.

Ricardo

6. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The design elements are similar.

RS Wilhelm Bauer.jpg

7. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 new2clocks, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Here is a thread concerning Wilhelm Bauer:

M & P Grand Sonnerie Vienna regulator

There seems to be a question as to whether Wilhelm Bauer made clocks or retailed them.

Regards.

8. Artillero

NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2014
    Engineer
    Nevada and California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gentlemen,
    Thank you for these leads. I agree that the superficial case design elements are similar however, my clock incorporates thin simple columns and a striking use of walnut burl veneers. I note also that the the crutch of my clock is quite intricate in design and the movement is mounted in wooden brackets instead of four brass posts when compared to some examples of Wilhelm Bauers works that I have seen on the internet. Taken together this may indicate a different maker or at least an earlier time period for my clock compared to others from Wilhelm Bauer.

Ricardo

9. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    For myself, I think it would be unwise to attribute this clock to Wilhelm Bauer. There is little or no evidence that Bauer ever made clocks himself, with the exception of his watchman's clock, which he patented, sold and advertised widely. It is possible that Bauer sold other people's clocks, indeed there is a suggestion that he might perhaps have sold some of the clocks of Mühlhauser & Pleskot. That idea is not so far-fetched, given that Bauer's office was at Wien VIII, Josefstädterstraße 34, while M&P were a few doors along at Josefstädterstraße 75.

But it is equally possible that the clock under discussion is one of the many unmarked clocks of this type/style which remain anonymous 'orphans' but still loved by their owners.

JTD

10. Artillero

NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2014
    Engineer
    Nevada and California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I tend to agree. There are too many details different between my new clock and the Bauer clocks that I have seen starting with the hands, the detail on the case and quality of veneers, the manner of mounting the movement, the construction of the crutch. I think that I will have to be content knowing that my clock is one of many thousands from the Biedermeier period that will forever remain the work of some anonymous maker. Once again I am amazed at how this clock survived in such good condition from the 1850’s to the present time.