Video on demand project

Discussion in 'Archived Threads' started by Greg Davis, Jan 28, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I tried to copy one of these Augmented Files, Got the .MOV file but could not copy the original MP4 file. Hmmmm, a little extra security?

2. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Registered User

Nov 29, 2000
    Manager of Engineering Programs
    Washington state
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sam has just implemented an effective means of putting video on demand onto a chapter website. The method involves using hand-crafted HTML files with embedded code to play the movie. Very straightforward, and it also seems to serve the purpose of hiding the file name. The only problem I see with trying to implement this approach on a larger scale for the NAWCC web site is that you need a 1:1 relationship between the HTML files and the videos. Otherwise, it seems a perfectly viable solution that keeps the MP4 files from being stolen. However, it would still be fairly simple to link directly to the movie file, if you know the path.

Sam, do you have any ideas about how to secure the links?

- Greg

3. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am working on it! One of the indications that a Secure File system is available is the vBulletin system in the way it handles Images and Members.

4. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  5. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Greg: Many NAWCC members are making this possible. Jeff Hamilton found the code that I am using. You are doing the conversions. Chris is looking into making a Members Only Portal System.

HMMMMM ?

6. Greg Davis

Nov 29, 2000
    Washington state
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's as it should be for a volunteer organization such as ours.

- Greg

7. Greg Davis

Nov 29, 2000
    Washington state
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If anyone is wondering, Kevin Osborne decided that the NAWCC needs additional copyright coverage before it can enable downloads of the video content contributed by members. I think that's unnecessary, but whatever. The upshot seems to be that he won't be sending me the bulk load of videos for conversion.

It's always something.

- Greg

8. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Greg: Do not be disappointed because they are working on getting the necessary releases to allow Video Streaming. At the very least you proved that it could be done.

9. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    May I suggest you follow up with Steve about this? The release forms I have signed for videos of my programs (several are included among the present set of DVD's in the Library) provided NAWCC full right to publish these in any NAWCC publication or on any NAWCC venue. I see no need whatever for additional copyright protection, but maybe I'm missing something.

10. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have not talked to Kevin or Steve, but I suspect that the option to watermark the content may be the issue. That would be the only way to offer protection against duplication and sale of duplicates.

Greg, does the software you are using allow a watermark to be applied to the video?

11. Greg Davis

Nov 29, 2000
    Washington state
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom, I have three packages.

DVDfab (the one I've been using so far) does not seem to offer watermark capability.

Corel Ulead is new to me and I don't know what it can and cannot do. However, it's supposed to be more like a video studio package than DVDfab, so it might have that ability.

Roxio MyVideo 10.0 is a piece of crap that doesn't work at all on any system I've tried installing it on, so it's no help.

- Greg

12. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  13. Greg Davis

Nov 29, 2000
    Washington state
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks like those links lead to AVS kits. I tried dowloading that once, but found the trial version too limited to be useful. Perhaps I should try again.

14. Greg Davis

Nov 29, 2000
    Washington state
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Any update on getting the additional agreements needed to start processing the videos?

- Greg

15. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #115 Tom McIntyre, Jun 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
    I spoke to Steve about it at the National and he has not actually gotten the list of restricted videos. Tom Borkowski seemed to know the range of dates where the restriction was active. Steve had had the impression that the number was very large but Tom thought it was pretty small.

Dennis Radage is back working on the Program Committee and, I think, was going to try to resolve this issue.

I owe Dennis some work getting the Program Committee back in communication with one another. It is on my list of things to do since getting back from Grand Rapids.

The new portal system has a much better forum/email integration than we have here and the intent is to have all the NAWCC committees have forums there (including chapter committees if they like).

16. Greg Davis

Nov 29, 2000
    Washington state
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just a tickler to remind folks... I still don't have any DVDs to convert for the association. I don't know if people have forgotten I'm waiting... but I am.

- Greg