Victorian Liverpool

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
Photography was I believe when it first appeared,(c1847) was used in the main for portraits, for if you moved when the camera was set in motion (Could take up to a minute) the end effect was a blurred picture. Though it did not take to long before a portable camera though bulky was built, and we now know where it all lead to.

When searching for waches from Liverpool over the years, my mind would wonder, and I would start to ask myself, what was it really like in the middle (or before) of the nineteenth century, and one way was to use old photographs of Liverpool-in conjuction with history books of Liverpool. Though this sounds a little romantic today, Liverpool for most was not the place to be if you valued your life.

So I have chosen a few photographs of the Victorian photographs of Liverpool that most of you will recognize, not forgeting that watch and clockmaking in those days, was the labour of the poor, very few indeed made a good living from it then. These were the days when eight to ten childred was the norm, the time when most children in the industrial cities never grew into adulthood-where school was a privilege-and holidays were a dream. You could say the days of Dickens.

A-30.jpg A-16.jpg

A-28.jpg

A-17.jpg
St. Nicholas church c1880
A-19.jpg
Market day-every day.
A-18.jpg This was the onerhead railway built in the middle of the 19th century, the photograph just before world war two.

A-23.jpg
Notice here the smudged legs of the horses has they walked past the camera.

A-12.jpg Nothing like a bath in front of the fire on Fridays??

A-22.jpg A-21.jpg
Down near the docks

A-27.jpg
Lord Street c1895.

A12.PNG
A painting of the Town Hall on Dale Street c1840

A-13.jpg
Thought you might like this one, its for the Waltham collectors.

A-15.jpg
The good old days?

Best Wishes Allan.

Snapper

Nov 30, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Country
I am familiar with Liverpool today having worked there on many occasions. These are fascinating photographs. Many thanks for posting them.

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
Hello Snapper- "or ryht are kid" If you put in "Old Liverpool photographs" you can spend days in there-another one is the Liverpool blitz -you can see how they the re-built Liverppol-or did not. Best wishes Allan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinestone
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller