Very unique clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by jjccamis, Feb 22, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jjccamis

jjccamis Registered User

Dec 15, 2009
    Good afternoon NAWCC,

I recently acquired a very unique clock. It has no name or maker anywhere on it. The clock is weight driven with what I'll describe as cuckoo clock cone weights on the two chains. It is a pendulum drive as well, metal leader and pendulum bob.What makes this clock unique is the front and back plates are made of wood and the pivots and bushings are set into this wood. All gears are brass. The clock housing is 8 inches by 6-1/4 inches. The movement is 4-1/2 inches tall and 4 inches wide. It strikes on the hour and the half hour. There is a small door on each side of the housing for movement access. It is an escapement movement. Does not currently run.
    What do I have? Any thoughts or comments?
    JJC

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Any pictures?

3. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    seriously? based on just a description?

sounds black forest-y, but no way to tell for sure without photos...

4. jjccamis

jjccamis Registered User

Dec 15, 2009
    Do you need pictures of the front and rear of the movement as well as the housing?

5. jjccamis

jjccamis Registered User

Dec 15, 2009
    Do you need pictures of the front and rear of the movement as well as the housing?

6. jjccamis

jjccamis Registered User

Dec 15, 2009
    Here are the pictures.

wood clock1.jpg wood clock2.jpg wood clock3.jpg

7. NigelW

NigelW Registered User

Jan 2, 2015
    Male
    London and Kent
    Country Flag:
    This type of construction is in fact commonly found in black forest and cuckoo clocks from the 19th and early 20th century. A 19th C cuckoo clock I restored recently for a friend had a very similar movement, also with wooden plates and brass bushes. The cuckoo mechanism is a little more complicated, but not much. Rather than just one arbor bearing the hammer for the gong (I assume yours has a gong attached to the back of the case) there are three arbors, one for "cuck", one for the "oo" and one for the gong, all activated by the same pin wheel on the striking train. I had to make new pallets (they were just bent bits of spring steel), fit a new fly, refurbish two of the lantern pinions, replace the bellows leather and fit a new lifting wire for the cuckoo's tail.

8. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I'm not sure why you describe the clock as 'unique', they were made in their thousands and are still very easy to find, as Nigel has said. Yours has an attractive case and will look very nice when cleaned up.

JTD

9. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just for your information, the case is probably missing a top and bottom. The case style would probably considered in Germany to be historicism.

10. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Maybe it is the pictures provided or maybe it is my eyes, but the wood used in the movement does not appear to have much "age" to it, even for an early 20th century clock.

Regards.

11. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I agree the wood looks quite clean, but I have seen quite a lot of these clocks and it most of these wooden movements have also had this clean look. They seem to have been quite well protected by the cases and of course there is not much oil around to stain the wood.

JTD

12. ballistarius

ballistarius Registered User

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There should be a chance of identifying the movement maker. The back escape wheel bridge is shaped in the form of letters. Could we have a close-up pic, please?

Aitor

13. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Aitor, you have good sharp eyes! I am not sure, but to me the bridge looks like the monogram of Johann-Martin Mauthe, which I have seen before,

Schmid in his 'Lexikon der Deutschen Uhrenindustrie' also notes that J.-M. Mauthe used the monogram as a bridge plate on wooden movements and that he made Schwarzwälderuhren and cuckoo clocks.

Hope this helps.

JTD

14. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is probably Anton Maier Victoria Clock Co, St Georgen.

bildmarke_amayer.jpg post-90953-0-23697200-1543226799.jpg

15. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Yes, I think Piotr is right. Now that the photo it is enlarged, I do think that this is Anton Maier's logo, although it looks as if a little piece may have broken off the right hand side.

At first I was still a little doubtful because of the clover shaped border that Piotr has posted, but in Schmid's 'Lexikon' there is a good picture of this logo (described as 'Hakenblech' [bridge plate]) exactly as it appears on the clock, without any border.

So, yes, definitely looks like Anton Maier. Well done Piotr!

JTD