• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Very old tall case clock INFO need

TEACLOCKS

NAWCC Member
Mar 22, 2005
Santa Rosa Calif.
www.weserviceallclocks.com
Country
Region
Never seen a tall case clock with a chime tube ?
I hope the name will help with date & where from ?
Do you think it needs 8lb weights ?
I don't know what that thing is hanging from the cord is ?
The pendulum is missing ?
I have not been to the customers house where the clock is at yet ?
Any help would be appreciated ?
Thank you Very much
Lloyd

1830.jpg Case.jpg Movenemt.jpg Movement 2.jpg Weight.jpg Clock.jpg Dial 2.jpg Dial 3.jpg

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
It's a thirty hour clock with dummy winding arbours to look like an 8 day. It has a penny moon, which is a desirable feature, and has been converted to strike a tube, which is a less desirable feature.

Reactions: Jmeechie

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Salterforth is a village near Pendle in Lancashire, though it was in Yorkshire until 1974. I can't find a clockmaker called King there.

Dick C

Oct 14, 2009
Country
The round thing on the pulley, Do you think it is a weight :???:??
Do you think 1830s ??
Thank you for everything else.
Could be the pendulum bob. A portion of the stick appears to be taped to the door.

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
The round thing on the pulley, Do you think it is a weight :???:??
Do you think 1830s ??
Thank you for everything else.
I'm thinking 1770's or 1780's. Hands aren't original IMO.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
It should run fine on an 8lb weight, they are typically between 6-9lb on 30 hour clocks and made of lead. You ought to be able to find one to replace that makeshift round weight and a stand and bell to replace that incongruous tube though the hammer will need to be returned to its original position assuming the customer is agreeable to returning it to how it should be. I agree with Dean about the brass hands, again these could be replaced. There is a John King listed in Salterforth 1765.

Last edited:

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
The dial appears associated to the movement looking at the bottom right hand dial post.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
The dial appears associated to the movement looking at the bottom right hand dial post.
Well spotted, had not noticed that, does it even have dial feet on the other side? Both this side are outside the movement

Jmeechie

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2010
Country
Region
That weight looks like someone poured lead into a coffee can to make a weight!
Does the movement appear to be 1795 ish or newer? It appears the tabs are an addition to hold the dial?
Cheers,
James

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
I want to replace the cord, how do you splice it together :???::???::???::???:?
Seen this done years ago by heavy lift riggers, looked a bit complicated but those guys had allot of down time at the plant. Looks interesting and from a just a bit or searching seems like you need to do a "long splice" so the rope diameter remains the same

Splicing

Reactions: Jmeechie

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
Looking back at the first post's second picture you can see the rope has what appears to be a "long splice" in it by where the fuzzy ends of the rope are located.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luckyday
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Aurora's 15 Ruby Jewel Movements by Greg Frauenhoff

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.