Very old French (?) clock identification please

ChrisM

Aug 15, 2021
Country
Hi! This has come up for sale described as "Very old French Marble mantelpiece clock , (17th to 19th century?)

Some of the pictures include these. Can anyone identify this clock for me please?

Thanks

French clock dial.jpg French clock makers mark.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Well, it certainly isn't 17th century!! It certainly is French, but I don't recognise the logo, which is not very clearly stamped, and I haven't yet found it in any reference books that I have.

I wouldn't describe if as 'very old' (though I suppose that depends on your viewpoint). If I had to guess I would say it is late very late 19th/early 20th century. It shows signs of rust and may have been allowed to get damp somewhere. Polished up it would be an attractive visible escapement movement, reminiscent of Farcot, though I don't think that is a Farcot logo.

Others may know more.

JTD

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I agree with JTD, likely mass produced clock early XX century. Not of great value, and in its sorry condition, even less. Missing a marble decorative round part in the front, pretty hard to miss. If you can get it very cheap and want a challenging restoration project, resulting in a not very valuable clock... Even then I'd pass on it if I was you.

Reactions: gmorse

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi ChrisM,
Not of great value, and in its sorry condition, even less. Missing a marble decorative round part in the front, pretty hard to miss.
Also, the case doesn't look like marble, more like alabaster, which is very soft and prone to damage, as is evident from your pictures. There are better pieces out there!

Regards,

Graham

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
It sure looks like it was made by the Eugene Farcot firm.

Ralph

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
John Hubby shows a number of logos attributed to Farcot in the post linked to below. Not esp. the fourth one.

Post Your Farcot Clocks Here | NAWCC Forums

In fact, the whole Farcot might repay inspection.
Thanks Steven, I found the very logo there, clearer than on the OP's clock. Wasn't one I knew till now, but feel stupidly pleased that my initial thought 'that's a Farcot' when I read the OP's post turned out to be right.

JTD

ChrisM

Aug 15, 2021
Country
Thanks Steven, I found the very logo there, clearer than on the OP's clock. Wasn't one I knew till now, but feel stupidly pleased that my initial thought 'that's a Farcot' when I read the OP's post turned out to be right.

JTD
Hi ChrisM,

Also, the case doesn't look like marble, more like alabaster, which is very soft and prone to damage, as is evident from your pictures. There are better pieces out there!

Regards,

Graham
Hi Graham et al!

Thanks very much for your replies. I did not win the auction for the clock. It was sold for US$66. I found myself in a bidding war and it did not look like it was going to end any time soon so I pulled out. Who knows how much it would have cost me if I had stayed in the fight! The person auctioning it said that it had been found in the bottom of a box of old hand tools so very much unloved. I thought it was a lovely thing but even my US$65 bid was outside my budget! Hope they enjoy it. Perhaps I will find one in better condition later.
Thanks again everybody.
Cheerio from New Zealand!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minister
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner