Very odd shaped movement plates, Who knows this maker?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by P.Hageman, Feb 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. P.Hageman

P.Hageman Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Here a movement of an early drop dial clock, narrow wood surround, cast bezel, convex dial and glass. The movement is shaped very odd, I have not seen it before and I wonder if this could be a movement made by a local maker instead of made by the big manufactories of those days. No stamps on the movement, no false plate. The dial is signed L.Thornton, Derry. I think this is Londonderry Ireland? Cannot find anyone by that name?? Help is welcome. And yes, I hate the metal wire that is used :)

movement 1.JPG movement 2.JPG signature.JPG

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes to Londonderry, no to ever seen it before.

I agree, unlikely to be a product of the big manufacturers or surely we would have seen it before?

Ireland very much went its own way with longcase in the century before so perhaps they did with dial clocks too.

You starting a collection of dial clocks?

3. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I can't find him either but you could try A List of Irish Watch and Clockmakers by Fennell. Derry or Londonderry is in Northern Ireland. While you do see the mainspring protruding outside the plates on fusee movements I've never seen one like that.

4. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just went through a 1910 trade directory for Londonderry and not a single Thornton is listed in any trade.

It seems quite an un irish name to me, so I imagine it is unusual. The chap can't be that hard to trace.

5. P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Thanks folks! I looked closely with an UV light and its certainly the right name on the dial. Perhaps he was only a jeweller or so and not a clockmaker. But also a jeweller shop with that name i cannot find? I don't have acces to the Fennel list of Irish clockmakers. Perhaps someone who reads this?

6. P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Nick, no not at all, but my two daughters don't fancy longcase clocks........................................... but they do like dial clocks, so I tryed to find some good ones for them. Hopefully in the future they start enjoying the longcase as well.

7. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I like dial clocks.

8. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you look long term at early 19th c. fusee movements, you'll find quite a few with unusual shaped plates such as this. I suppose that makes them more interesting for us today.

9. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thornton definitely seems an unusual name in Derry.

10. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thornton is an English and Scottish name. I recently serviced a tall case 'family' clock for a Thornton family near here. Their clock had unusual plates, but no markings.
    There is (or was) a Thornton jewelry store on High Street with the AA Thornton established 1909 above the 6 on the dial as well as D A Thornton below the 12- perhaps related?
    There is also a Thornton Little Theatre in Lancashire
    perhaps the name on the dial is not the maker of the movement?
    below is a picture of the movement that I serviced with very large cut outs, but I think it is US made not UK

HourCannon3.JPG

11. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The history of Northern Ireland is the import of Scottish protestants through the action of James I /VI, so Scottish names would not be a surprise. There just don't seem to be many. It's very likely the name is the retailer, though the quirky design still supports it being a smaller more local movement maker.

THTanner likes this.
  12. P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Thanks again folks, it seems I won't find anything on this "maker". But the clock, when ready, will look good on the wall of my daugther :)

THTanner likes this.
  13. Hayson

Hayson Registered User

Mar 2, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Nick. I have ancestors from Northern Ireland (Armagh) and Meath (inside the Pale) with surnames Bennett and Walmsley. Both as English as you like. It's known that their people had been in Ireland since the Plantation of Ulster in the 17thC.

14. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As I said, Scottish, and English, names have been in Derry since James I/VI, but Thornton it seems is a very uncommon name in Derry. Families involved in business tend to carry on being in businesses through the generations, albeit not the same businesses. I went through a whole trade directory for Derry and found not one thornton. It is a Derry name, they are there but not in big numbers. One was Mayor in 1642 (probably the first Thornton) one is famous in New Hampshire. You would think with so few though it would be an easy name to track down but it is being very elusive.