• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's lines in the Columbia, PA area. We are working on the immediate issue with Comcast and are also working on a long term plan that will eliminate our reliance on Comcast. Thank you for your patience.

Very large Tavern Style Clock

Rudi

Dec 1, 2010
Strand
Country
Hi There,

Got this beautiful clock the other day but not having any luck on any details so far, I new it was quite a scares find for South Africa and I have seen what they sell for overseas. I just love the style and the cheer size of it. Its almost 1.3 meters tall and quite wide as well. Having some trouble finding a good place for it to hang.

Any chance someone could give me an idea of date and maybe some details on the maker please, I think it is early 1820. Movement is still beautiful but probably half a size bigger than an ordinary 8 day grandfather movement.

Cheers.

Attachments

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Baillie lists a John Wilkinson working in Leicester 1815-26, which would seem about right.

I love these clocks but have never been able to afford one. Congratulations on a beautiful clock!

JTD

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
It's a great find, though not what we would usually call a tavern clock, those would usually be time only and with a larger dial. This seems much more domestic in proportion. It's what we would call a Norwich clock, though that doesn't mean it came from Norwich, it is a style very popular in East Anglia but occurs all over.

I've seen a few and always liked them.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
I also like these clocks and would happily have one. Loomes lists Williamson a little earlier, 1801-26 but the first quarter of the 19th C is when they first appeared.

They appear to have a few names for some reason, Norwich or East Anglian wall clock or Norfolk dial clock. You don't see them very often even in the UK which suggests they were never made in large numbers or many haven't survived which perhaps explains why they are relatively expensive. Initially the dials were silvered brass with later ones painted. Movements closely resemble longcase ones and are often full stirke.

Rudi

Dec 1, 2010
Strand
Country
Thanks for the info Jonathan, that's exactly why I got it. I have seen what they go for and I would never have been able to buy one from overseas. I probably recon this would be one of only a handfull in South Africa if not the only one.

Love the style of the case and the size of it. Quite big for a wall clock.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Thanks for the info Jonathan, that's exactly why I got it. I have seen what they go for and I would never have been able to buy one from overseas. I probably recon this would be one of only a handfull in South Africa if not the only one.

Love the style of the case and the size of it. Quite big for a wall clock.
I think those ones with the wooden bezels like yours are among the earliest. It has all the restrained elegance of the Regency period before the Victorians started to go a bit OTT

Rudi

Dec 1, 2010
Strand
Country
Thanks for the info guys, amazing how much info one can gather in one day on this site.

Will post some pictures once I'm done with the restoration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ralphallais
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-