Very big JUF (Schatz) chrome 400day clock

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by chrisuk, Aug 22, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. chrisuk

chrisuk Registered User

Sep 4, 2010
    Clock repairer & organist
    Staffordshire , UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I recently received this big, 7 1/2" diameter 15" tall dome, chrome finish bandstand style JUF clock, two elephants and dial trademark. [​IMG] The Horolovar guide has the movement shown as plate 1595 with a date of 1912, is this clock more likely to be from the 1930s (or the 1950s reintroductions)? The only fault is a broken suspension spring but both parts plus the blocks and fork are present, which is good. The outer part of the base needs cleaning and the dial is a bit dull but that is all. The movement is suspended from the top cover and just requires cleaning. [​IMG]
    All comments welcome.
    Thanks
    Chris

2. whatgoesaround

whatgoesaround Registered User

Jan 22, 2008
    Male
    science teacher
    south carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The brass ones have a kind of skirt that goes around the bottom. I would assume the chrome one would, too. I really like the chrome clocks and one of this age really catches my eye. Nice find!

3. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Chris, thanks for posting, this is a really nice example of a chrome Louvre model JUF. The only thing I see missing is the tubular suspension guard for certain, and possibly the decorative "skirt" that what goes around mentioned in his post. I have a chrome JUF Louvre model that does have the suspension guard and skirt.

The date in the Repair Guide for Plate 1595 is completely wrong, don't know where Terwilliger got the info but our research shows that plate was made between March 1927 and mid-1931. That is about as close a date as we can estimate unless there is a dated presentation inscription or other info written or scribed on the clock that would provide a "not later than" date.

Basically, JUF didn't use any logo on their 400-Day clocks until 1921, when they registered a circular trademark "Jahresuhren-Fabrik G.m.b.H. Germany". That trademark was registered May 27, 1921. At the time, JUF was still using serial numbers they had re-started at the beginning of 1907 with the number 50001. The circular trademark was used by itself until the company reorganized in early 1923 to become Jahresuhren-Fabrik G.m.b.H. Aug. Schatz & Söhne. At that time, they discontinued serial numbering but added the "Double Elephant with Dial" logo that had also been trademarked on May 27, 1921 but not used. Thus, clocks made from about April or May 1923 through February 1927 have no serial number but two logos, the circular JUF logo and the Double Elephant logo.

August Schatz Sr. died in February 1927. At that time, they stopped using the circular JUF logo but continued with only the Double Elephant logo stamp. About mid-1931 even this stamp was discontinued so all JUF clocks made from that time until production stopped for WWII had completely blank back plates.

4. chrisuk

chrisuk Registered User

Sep 4, 2010
    Clock repairer & organist
    Staffordshire , UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you both very much for the information re the 'louvre' clock especially the dating info, its a great help. Now , finding a skirt is another matter................
    Chris

5. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just looking at it with its smooth bezel and smooth columns, it probably did not have the decorative trim around the base. I think it would detract from the look they were going for with the smooth chrome. I'm sure I've seen other chrome louvre clocks with no trim around the base.

I think it was around 1925-26 when commercial chrome plating became available.

Eric