Vernon Hall Clock/Cincinnati Time Recorder

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
Greetings All,

I saw an interesting clock yesterday while making a "house call" for a GF clock.

The clock case looks to be dark mahogany. It is a five tubular bell movement with thick plates and seems to be very well made. As usual, it took several minutes and close examination to determine how it would actually come out of the case. Remove the weights and pendulum, hands, dial surround (4 screws), remove the back fabric panel w/frame, remove tubes, remove 4 screws from the seat board. Remove two metal braces from the front of the movement that are fastened to the side of the case. Everything comes out the back. This little exercise took a total of 35 minutes.

There is a plate on the inside of the door marked "Vernon Hall Clock Co." Made by Cincinnati Time Recorder Co.

The only markings that I see on the movement are at "6 O'clock" on the front plate and possibly the rear, S444.

I did search the MB and came up with a couple of postings, one by Tom McIntyre from 2003

"I have an example marked "Vernon Hall Clock Co." Cincinnati Time Recorder. It came with a tag that said "came from Gov Watson's House in Boston 1914. This is a bit suspect since there was no Governor Watson. There was a Governor Walsh who served from 1914 to 1916. He was also the Senator from Massachusetts from 1918 to 1947.

If the tag has any validity, they would have been in business in 1914. The clock itself looks more like a mid 20's vintage to me. It is a 5 tube chiming clock.

Tom McIntyre

Another post from Harold Bain referenced LY's Longcase Clocks and Standing Regulators. The Model 101 clock case is very similar to the one I saw yesterday. (Of course, it's a master clock, self-winding movement etc......)

I don't have pictures of the case and dial but will take some when I take the clock back.

The chime weight is probably the same weight as the one on my nine tube Herschede (28-30 pounds).

The clock is very dirty and isn't chiming. The time cable needs to be replaced. Also a new suspension spring. There may be other things as I take a closer look.

Nice clock and I hope the repair goes as it should:)

Any other comments or information will be appreciated.

Best,

Richard T.

Attachments

Last edited:

depatty

Feb 2, 2011
Weaver, Alabama, US
Country
Region
Indeed, a very interesting clock! Looks like someone got a bit carried away with the oil some time in the past. Would be interested in seeing more pictures of it as you get further into it.

Later,
Dave

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
I am bringing this back to the top. Hopefully someone has additional information.

Thanks

Best,

Richard T.

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
Will it ever go back together again:confused::)

The chime drum/mechanism isn't shown below. Neither is the rack/hammers for the five tubular bells.

Best,

Richard T.

Attachments

WalkerR

NAWCC Member
Oct 26, 2015
Country
Anyone know who built this movement? I have a nine tube like it, and I would like to know more about Vernon Hall Clock as well.. can't find much info on them.
Thanks

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Lacking a similar movement from another maker, why not Cincinnati Time Recorder??

bestmom60

New User
Nov 10, 2015
Country
Greetings!

I was researching an old clock that we purchased 10 years ago and came upon this thread. My clock also has the gold plate in the door that says Vernon Hall Clock by the Cincinnati Time Recorder Company. We had a clock guy come to the house and look at it and in his opinion it was a "gift" of sorts from the Cincinnati Time Recorder Company to factory owners and other powerful people for using their Time Recorder Clocks in their businesses. I have a file in which I have recorded all of the numbers and engravings that we found when it was taken apart. It does work and chimes beautifully. It will forever be in our family. We do need to get it repaired though as it sometimes gets a little carried away and chimes forever. Is there anyone out there that has any information on this clock or that could tell me what some of these numbers mean? Also, we need to find a good repairman in the Seattle area to look at it. If you can offer any contacts it would be very appreciated. We want to keep this baby running smoothly!

Thanks!

WalkerR

NAWCC Member
Oct 26, 2015
Country
Wow looks nobody knows about vernon hall clocks or there just not talking.....I have found about 6 of them all different case styles, 5 tube and 9 tube, but nobody knows the history,or who made the movement. They are so much like Herschede but yet different...someone must know something....like who made the movements for herschede before herschede made there own

JBhilts

New User
Apr 21, 2016
Country
Hi - I have a nine tube Vernon Hall Clock that has been in our family for many years. It came from a great aunt who lived on Long Island in the 1920-30s and came to southern Ontario in the 1960s to be with family after her husband died.
It was passed on to me in the late 1980s and recently we relocated it into our front hall, on tile floor.

It has been levelled, but will not run for more than an hour or two. Can anyone provide some guidance on how to resolve this issue ?
It has two numbers stamped on several areas on the back '8' and just below '508' - I do not know the significance of these numbers.
I would like to learn more of the history of these clocks and their their potential value.

Thanks - John

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi, John, welcome to the message board. Your clock may be due for service. Have a professional come over to see what it might need to get it running. lt could just be out of beat, which is more important than being level.

JBhilts

New User
Apr 21, 2016
Country
Hi - following my original post April 2016, my Vernon Hall Clock appears identical to WalkerR's photos seen further up the page (Oct15, 2015) - we have decided to sell this item and are seeking guidance regarding the best way to go about this process and determine a fair market price. Local antique dealers and watchmakers have not been very helpful.
We are located in southern Ontario just west of Toronto.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks !
John

f.webster

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Country
Region
This is as close as we get to finding an answer:???:?
Presently I am restoring and Vernon Hall Clock made by the Cincinnati Time Recording Company. It is a nine tube and the only markings on the plates is the number S642 centered on the lower edge of the front plate. I have seen Herschede movements...similar but nothing like this. No marking on the case; however, I didn't see the back. I found three different clock repairers names in the bottom of the case (all past NAWCC members). I will attach images as I go along. Everyone please through all you know here. Oh...and can we tap the research department:???:

20180810_095310.jpg 20180810_100605.jpg 20180823_150824.jpg 20180823_161222.jpg 20180810_095404.jpg

Colin Drake

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2015
Tacoma, Wa
Country
Region
If any one has a Cincinnati time recorder movement, we could compare screws and other bits to see if we can find anything identical, or at least a trend in part design.

f.webster

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Country
Region
The movement I am working on is unusual because the moon dial is mounted to the front plate of the movement. The mechanism that changes it is also on the movement.

Jacksotb

New User
Feb 11, 2019
Country
Well, I stumbled on a Vernon Hall Clock made by the Cincinnati Time Recording Company am now presently I am restoring this very interesting clock. Unable to find any original information, and have some questions about some of the parts .... Have begun a dissemble manual attached, please feel free to comment, edit or add. Need information concerning the Time Barrel and the internal Spring? seems to be a missing set screw? Email me direct for the Manual Draft, Thomasj721@aol.com

keithp

New User
Nov 20, 2020
Country
A customer here in Australia has brought in for repair a Vernon Hall Clock (movement No 208) that he has just acquired, unfortunatly the 5 tubular gongs are missing.
Would anyone here be able to give me the Dimensios so that I can make them. I require the outside diameter, Inside diameter and length.
Hoping someone can help
Keith Potter

macaw

NAWCC Member
Jul 23, 2014
Minnesota
Country
This is my recently purchased 9-tube Vernon Hall Clock with case number 508. The only chime it has is Whittington with chime & strike shut-offs. The only way to remove the movement along with the seat board is to disassemble the chime rack, seat board and movement, then remove the movement, then seat board, then the rack. Not a repairer friendly clock.
P7010065.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Morbier
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Illinois Watch Company by Kent