Verge Pocket Watch Maker Info Sought

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by timelyrestorations, May 2, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming
    Just Two More Days
  1. timelyrestorations

timelyrestorations Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 26, 2001
    Country Flag:
    I just picked this one up. It is a verge pocket watch movement mounted in a beautiful rosewood clock case with mother of pearl inlay. I have owned a couple of these watch/clocks, the other was mounted in a hand painted porcelain case. Is there a correct term for this type of timepiece? I have always just referred to them as watch clocks! Also, does anyone recognize the maker? The back plate is signed J. Mitchell, London. Thanks in advance.
    Doug

mitchell1.JPG mitchell2.JPG mitchell3.JPG

Keith R... and viclip like this.
  2. Allan C. Purcell

Allan C. Purcell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is a James Michall in Loomes c1700, and that's it. The style of your watch is very much late 1700´s. Do you have a photograph of the watch side on so we can see the pillars? That would help. The case I think is later, but altogether a very nice piece

Allan.

Keith R... likes this.
  3. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The name on the movement is likely the retailer - he would have acquired the competed movement with his name already on it or as an ebauche and finished in his shop. Mostly likely the first case as watch making was done in most likely Coventry, Prescott, or Liverpool and the watches were shipped to London. Watch making process has been documented in the literature and involved many individuals to made single part and they were assembled in small factories.

It is an attractive wood case.

Andy Dervan

Keith R... likes this.
  4. timelyrestorations

timelyrestorations Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 26, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Here is a photo from the side of the movement. Pillars are very plain.

posts.JPG

5. DaveyG

DaveyG Registered User

Mar 21, 2005
    Male
    Retired military aircraft engineer
    North Wales, UK
    Country Flag:
    I wouldn't say that I recognise the maker but there are several makers J Mitchell in Baillie.ranging in date from one apprenticed in 1705 and admitted to The Clockmakers Company in 1713 to one apprenticed 1809 and admitted 1829. I see the watch as the last quarter of the 18th C, maybe into the early part of the 19th C so, for me, the most likely candidates world be James, London, apprenticed 1785 or John, Oxford Rd London with one listed date of 1784. The outside odds could go on James shown as working 1755-1781 or John Bloomsbury, London 1802-04. Personal opinion, but I would say that the movement was made with the intention of fitting it to a clock rather than a watch judging from the position of the pillars on the dial plate.

6. Allan C. Purcell

Allan C. Purcell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you for the photograph, though the pillars look plain at first, you may notice they are wider at the bottom than the top. These type of pillars were used by Ellicott and others toward the end of the eighteenth century.

Best wishes,

Allan.

Edit I wrote this, earlier today, and forgot to press the Post reply.