Verge Pocket movement

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by robertmurphy, Jul 31, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. robertmurphy

robertmurphy New Member

Jun 29, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    hello first of all i am new here and generally just read and try to pick up bits of information . i bought this pocket watch from a well known website . i am trying to find out about the rough age of the movement and any information about the gentleman who put his name to the movement . Mackie & Son, City Road, London, Probably by George Mackie and Son recorded working London 1809-1825 . what i have found out it was likely 31 city road london across the road from The Honourable Artillery Company (HAC) . is there anyway of finding out if that was where it was made . thanks in advance .

s-l1600 (16)123.jpg s-l1600 (18)12.jpg s-l1600 (19)1234.jpg

pmwas and Keith R... like this.
  2. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Robert, and welcome to the forum,

Your watch was made at the end of the 18th or the early years of the 19th centuries, and George Mackie is recorded as working from various addresses in City Road from 1783 to 1856, with the '& Son' being used from 1811, the company being listed as 'watch, clock & chronometer makers'. Whilst it may well have been finished in London, the 'raw' movement probably started life in the Liverpool area of Lancashire. The disc type of regulator, (attributed to Tompion but probably not invented by him), was beginning to give way to the simpler pointer moving over a sector scale by this time, (the Bosley). The dial appears to be undamaged and the hands are most unusual and possibly original. This style of dial, with just Roman hour numerals, is typical of the period, as is the engraving on the balance cock, although the grotesque mask was becoming less common as tastes changed.

If you can post some pictures of the hallmarks inside the case, we can arrive at a more precise date.

The barrel bar, (where the signature is engraved), is missing one of its two screws, the dial appears to be a little loose, and the hinge pin holding the movement in the case looks distinctly suspect. Although I can see that it's running, it's as well not to run it too much if you don't have any evidence that it's been properly serviced lately; from the pictures you've posted I should think it hasn't, (whatever the vendor might have stated!).

Regards,

Graham

Keith R... and robertmurphy like this.
  3. robertmurphy

robertmurphy New Member

Jun 29, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Graham for your reply . I have no idea how you can tell that it runs but you are right . I have no intention of of making a habit of it as i realise the damage that could be done to a movement of that age . The seller thought it was a marriage of older movement and newer case which seems to have what looks like a B as the date letter and TG stamped inside as well . The case has two holes and one of them is heavily misshaped and a bullseye glass/crystal which is cloudy but i got some polywatch glass polish and it has got slightly clearer . I have only got the pictures from the seller at the moment . thanks again .

s-l1600 (17).jpg s-l1600 (23)f.jpg

Keith R... likes this.
  4. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Robert,

The date letter is indeed a Gothic 'B', which for London is 1837/8, case maker 'TG' incuse is Thomas Greves at 4 Southampton Buildings, Rosoman Street, Clerkenwell. The case is certainly not original with that date, and that's further supported by the poorly fitting hinge joint and the extra winding hole. Re-cased movements aren't uncommon, and if the wear now evident on this crystal was a result of its treatment by the original owner, a worn-out case in 30 years or so isn't surprising.

You might need something with a bit more 'cut' to start with on that crystal, it's very nearly ground glass. Diamond pastes are available in a wide range of grades; I don't know what the mesh size of the Polywatch product is, but you might need to start with 25 micron or even coarser, then work down to finer grades as the scratches begin to disappear. Eternal Tools here in the UK sell a range of diamond pastes. Be prepared to spend a lot of time and elbow grease on it! It looks as though it's a plain high dome, which is correct, (not a 'bullseye').

By the way, I could tell it was running when the picture was taken because the balance spokes aren't visible they're just a blur.

Regards,

Graham

robertmurphy and Keith R... like this.
  5. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Beautiful movement! Love it!

Keith R... and robertmurphy like this.