Verge not moving anymore

justinabshire

Mar 7, 2021
Country
So I had this movement going then it just stopped. I think the verge is not set correctly anymore on the wheel. I am sort of stuck at figuring this out.

1ED264CA-F1E3-47B4-99ED-6BF4F70D319C.jpeg F9F8505E-8F19-4648-A494-CF03445EA963.jpeg

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Sorry, but there is not enough information provided.
The verge moves because the escape wheel pushes the verge pallets.
Is the escape wheel moving?
My first suspicion is that the escape wheel is not moving.
Normally an old style cuckoo clock movement like you have will suffer from low power through out due to friction due to having been run for many years. Clock movements will wear just like any any machine. (including cars, washing machines, toilets, etc.)
It is common to blame the verge as that is the thing moving (in your case, not moving). Probably you can adjust the verge/escape wheel assembly a long time and not get good results till you solve the power problem. More than likely you will cause another problem that will keep the movement from running. Two problems are more than twice as difficult to properly trouble shoot. Don’t look at cleaning or oiling as viable solutions either.
A good, yet economical clock repair publication is This Old Clock by David S. Goodman. It should be available at your local library or for sale on Amazon or eBay.
Best of luck,
Dick

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
Cuckoo clock verges seldom if ever need adjusting, and they seem to last forever. But their pivot holes may wear, along with the pivot holes in the remainder of the time train. See if you can sneak the escape wheel out of there and see if the movement runs freely.

Mark Kinsler

justinabshire

Mar 7, 2021
Country
Cuckoo clock verges seldom if ever need adjusting, and they seem to last forever. But their pivot holes may wear, along with the pivot holes in the remainder of the time train. See if you can sneak the escape wheel out of there and see if the movement runs freely.

Mark Kinsler
When I took the verge out the wheel ran like a race horse. Now I am not 100% sure which one is the escape when. If you can tell me which one I can look.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
So I had this movement going then it just stopped. I think the verge is not set correctly anymore on the wheel. I am sort of stuck at figuring this out.
Did you change the verge verge adjustment? The verge adjustment could not change itself so if the clock was running but not it will not run now I doubt that the verge is the problem. Perhaps the most common reason for a clock that isn't broken to not run is being "out of beat". With the movement setup with the weights and pendulum attached, try tilting the movement slightly to one side or the other and see if it ticks more evenly and keeps running. If the pendulum swing is weak (and you are using the correct weights) The problem is likely wear as Dick has already mentioned and/or the movement needs to be disassembled and cleaned.

RC

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
When I took the verge out the wheel ran like a race horse. Now I am not 100% sure which one is the escape when. If you can tell me which one I can look.
I get the feeling that you are into this project well beyond your capabilities.
I would again suggest you read everything you can find on clock repair.
You will have poor results with trial and error with that movement and it is almost impossible to trouble shoot through this media. So far, everything has been speculation and guessing.
JMHO
D

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Does anyone know what the name or type of movement this is?
I would describe that movement as a Black Forest, cuckoo movement with a count wheel strike system. It does not seem to have maker’s marks on the movement and that is not unusual. The cuckoo clock industry has been a cottage industry, meaning that many/most of those clocks were made and assembled in people’s homes. Some of the components were purchased, some made by the assemblers. It is tough to trace the origins of cuckoo clocks.
The mechanics of that movement are not unique in that the operation will resemble most other time/strike movements. What you would find with an American made time/strike movement will be quite similar to the movement you have.
Best of luck,
Dick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lorick13
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller