Value pocket watch Eardley Norton London

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Susikoira, Aug 2, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Susikoira

Susikoira New Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hi,

Could someone tell me if this a real thing and how much is it worth.

It is an old watch that been in our family longer than anyone I asked could remember.

Inside the watch it says "Early Norton London 1687".

https://ibb.co/mcsF75
    https://ibb.co/crdBfQ

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We can't discuss values in this thread, there is another section where that can be done for a small fee.

If you could rotate that semicircular blued steel part anticlockwise a short way until it stops you can remove the dustcap and provide us with pictures of the movement.

Eardley Norton was a famous maker of bracket clocks in the latter half of the 18th century.

If you look in the inside of the silver case you will find some hallmarks hopefully which we can use to date the case.

I don't understand the 24 hour bit of the dial, hopefully somebody will explain that.

3. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Susikoira, and welcome,

The name Eardley Norton was indeed widely faked, but we could tell more if you can post pictures of the movement, which is underneath the dust cap with the signature. The cap locking piece is already in the position to allow it to be lifted off. Some clear close ups of the hallmarks inside the case will also be most helpful in establishing whether this is genuine and if so when it was made. The dial has had numerals added, and has suffered some cracks, but is essentially an 18th century type, and so are the hands. The overall impression is of an English verge fusee watch from later in the 18th century.

We cannot offer opinions on valuation in this forum, but if you need one for insurance purposes or whatever, there's another forum here called 'What is this watch worth' where you can post requests for a small fee.

Regards,

Graham

4. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    oh yes, silly me it is indeed already unlocked.

Graham is the expert in these things, but I'm very hopeful it is all correct under the dust cover, what we have seen so far looks very promising.

5. Susikoira

Susikoira New Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Country Flag:
  6. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    again I am encouraged, but let's wait for Graham. Are there hallmarks?

Rather than provide links could you load the pictures to the MB server using the little camera icon?

Links can eventually be broken, and this would be a useful thread for anybody searching for info on this maker in the future. I have not seen a watch signed by him before but have seen a lot of bracket clocks.

7. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    #7 Omexa, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Hi, I might be wrong but it sort of has a Swiss look about it. If you push the Latch-Bolt at the bottom of the movement it will swing out on the Hinge and we need to see a view of the Crown Wheel-Contrate area? Regards Ray View attachment 352371

8. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Susikoira,

The pictures are indeed encouraging, as Nick says. The movement and dial do look right for an English watch around 1770-80, which tallies with Norton's recorded working dates of 1762-90. Can we see some pictures of the edge of the movement, (like Ray's example), and the case hallmarks please? By the way, the '1687' is the serial number, not the date.

Regards,

Graham

9. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
  10. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    Hi, it is starting to look good- English. Regards Ray

11. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Susikoira,

The hallmarks do look English, with a London Assay Office mark, (the leopard's head), the date of 1786, (the 'l'), and a case maker's/sponsor's mark of 'TC' probably for Thomas Carpenter at 5 Islington Road, London. I can see nothing about the movement to suggest that it isn't English, but this doesn't necessarily mean that it's a genuine Eardley Norton; fakes were made here as well as in Switzerland, France, or the Netherlands.

On a more practical note, the fusee chain is detached and may be broken.

Regards,

Graham

12. Susikoira

Susikoira New Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Country Flag:
    #13 Susikoira, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    One pro in a watch shop in Helsinki said that this an orginal Eardley Norton that has been fixed afterwards and would need to be fixed again.

13. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Susikoira,

I'd be very surprised if a watch that's 230 years old hadn't been fixed a few times in its life! I believe that it's certainly English, and very probably by Norton.

Regards,

Graham