$ Value of HP & Co Brass & Glass Crystal Regulator

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by The Editor, Mar 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. The Editor

The Editor Newbie

Sep 13, 2016
    Female
    Ontario Canada
    Country Flag:
    For estate reasons, I’m trying to determine the value of some of my late father’s clocks. He was a long-time NAWCC member and Fellow of the British Horological Institute.

This clock is a French crystal regulator made by HP & Co. (Honore Pons). It is 10” tall. My father described it as follows: “Glazed gilded brass case – 8-day mantel clock – hour and half-hour strike on bell – 3 ½” enamel dial – Roman numerals – marked HP and Co. 2598, Serial No, 11,548. Top and base of case are oval and the four bevelled glass panels are curved accordingly. Side panels flare out at the top and bottom. Originally mercury gilded or plated; has since been gold plated. Flawless condition. Circa 1870-1890.” I can add that “Paris” can be seen on the dial but the rest is too worn to read. And that I wound it and it has been running and chiming for days. I am having trouble determining its value because of the scarcity of brass-and-glass HP Co clocks on line. Any information you can give me would be much appreciated.

HP Co Clock_NAWCC (1).JPG HP Co Clock_NAWCC (2).JPG HP Co Clock_NAWCC (3).JPG HP Co Clock_NAWCC (4).JPG HP Co Clock_NAWCC (5).JPG HP Co Clock_NAWCC (6).JPG

2. zedric

zedric Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm not familiar with US prices for these, but there is a contradiction between HP&Co being for Honore Pons, and the date assigned (1870-1890) which is probably right. Pons died in 1851, and had sold his business to Delepine in 1846.

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Perhaps you could remove the bell and you may find the maker's logo on the back plate (at the moment it is hidden by the bell). Just unscrew the nut and the bell will come off.

JTD

4. The Editor

The Editor Newbie

Sep 13, 2016
    Female
    Ontario Canada
    Country Flag:
    Thanks. I can see the mark; it's just that it didn't show up well enough in my very low resolution photos to post. It's a diamond with "HP & Co" above it, plus the model and serial numbers.

5. The Editor

The Editor Newbie

Sep 13, 2016
    Female
    Ontario Canada
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for this; I'll give it some thought. The clock definitely has the HP & Co. mark on it, though. Pardon my ignorance, but does that mean that the clock was made earlier than my father thought? Or did Delepine continue to use the HP & Co mark?

6. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I am doubtful if the mark you describe is really the mark of Honore Pons. I have only seen five or six clocks with the Pons mark/logo but none of them have been such as you describe. On the other hand, I can find several clocks with Marti movements which also have the diamond mark and the letters H.P. & Co..

A British auction house sold a clock identical to yours which had a Marti movement and also the HP&Co with a diamond. That clock sold for £500 in 2011

I am fairly sure that HP & Co. is not Honore Pons but rather a wholesaler/retailer/importer.

A clear photo of the back of the movement without the bell would help.

JTD

7. The Editor

The Editor Newbie

Sep 13, 2016
    Female
    Ontario Canada
    Country Flag:
    Thanks so much! I guess my father was mistaken. Someone has borrowed my camera but I should be able to post a photo of the mark before the weekend is out.

8. The Editor

The Editor Newbie

Sep 13, 2016
    Female
    Ontario Canada
    Country Flag:
    Here's a close-up of the mark.

DSCN2975.JPG

9. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Yes, that is the mark you can see on other movements. It is not Honore Pons.

JTD

10. zedric

zedric Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As has been mentioned, the HP and Co logo does not appear to relate to Pons. Délépine continued to use the Pons Médaille d’or stamp after taking over the company, but it looks nothing like this logo you have here.

11. The Editor

The Editor Newbie

Sep 13, 2016
    Female
    Ontario Canada
    Country Flag:
    Ok; thanks.

12. The Editor

The Editor Newbie

Sep 13, 2016
    Female
    Ontario Canada